strange- when traveling at high speed there is sort of a wobble (like going over road studs) when slightly cornering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello - strange phenomenon i cant explain.

when i travel at about 100 kph (that's about 60 mph for you americans) I started to notice that when i turn the wheel just a bit- to switch lanes for example - i get a wobble. This does not happen when i turn the steering wheel more- like when i turn to an overpass.

This is not exactly a wobble - it feels like i am going over what we call "cats eyes" - or road studs. but the road is perfect highway tarmac. this does not happen at speeds below 50 MPH - and i dare not go over 70 mph cause well...its a kj with a JBA 4 inch lift. I value my life....lol. at first i thought i was going over a crappy section of highway - but then it happened again. and again. and again.

I know this must sound strange but i just got back from a 400 mile trip and it is plain WIERD. when the road is straight it is great - I can do this all day. like the thing is on rails. but if i want to switch lanes- and just give it a tiny bit of steering input to the left of right...i can feel the series of distant thuds throught the floor. like i am going over road studs. If i decrease the speed it goes away. if i turn the steering wheel more- if i have to get on an overpass- not a problem. this does not upset my traction control.

As for maitenance- it has been checked and double checked. everything rubber is new- quality jba, moog etc parts. The jeep has a perfect alignment and is straight as an arrow. wheels are balanced. tire pressure checked. just spent 100s of dollars on re doing the front suspension. just got back from my driveway where everything related to the anti roll bar (you call it a sway bar) was torqued to factory spec. I am really in the dark here.

I would also like to add that a few months back we re built the front driveshaft - it is balanced. re checked that too.

any ideas welcome.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Have your tires been balance checked recently? Sounds like a possible shifted belt in the tire.

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes sir- brand new toyo mt's. as i wrote- tires are balanced.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Very strange.
So only feel it in the seat/floorboards and no sensation in the steering wheel? If nothing in the steering then seems like it isn't the front end.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Rear lower control arms possibly
What does it do if you hit passing gear then let off suddenly ?

Paul Dalby

Reaction score
is the frequency drive wheel or prop shaft?

If it sounds like going over cats eye's it makes me think it has the frequency of the wheel rotation and the 'dull' sound of that makes me think it is the tyres - I have had some strange effects that have disappeared with a tyre rotation and I'd be tempted to try that first.

Also, I wonder if, because of the height of the lift/ angle of rear prop shaft when you corner over a certain speed, the amount of body roll is enough to cause a problem with one of the U joints.

Latest posts

Members online