Strange, intermittent startup issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks Itd02, I did the spark plugs yesterday and so far that's made a huge difference. I might tackle IAC cleaning as well. I'll see how it drives this week but my problem might have only been due to bad spark plugs and they were old....here's a post I made about them.....http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/spark-plugs-possible-age-57139/ I'm gonna try running the techron thru as well. Seems like a good idea.

First time I changed my plugs they were way worse than that and I changed them shortly after getting the Jeep. I was pretty sure they were factory original so they had about 80k on them. A couple were burned back to the bend. I was amazed it actually ran but ran so smooth after that change. I only use those NGK now too.

Forgot to mention that I hope you used a Mopar or NTK O2 sensor when you changed that last one. Others like Bosch don't perform well in the KJs.

Keep us posted.

johnnygrace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I replaced the sparkplugs and it seemed like my problem was fixed but then i got the weird startup issue again yesterday. Took about 6 cranks to get it started, each time the engine would turn over but it would just choke itself out, i finally got it going. Still weird that it happens after i've been driving for a while, turned it off, then about 5 min. Later try to crank it up again. Worst part about it i was picking the wife up from work so now shes overly worried about the car.

I did use a bosch replacement o2 sensor. Havent gotten any codes from it, and it was a downstream one, so hope that isnt it.

The issue definitely feels like the absence of something, air, fuel, pressure. I admittedly havent gotten in to investigate all the suggestions posted here so far so i need to get my hands dirty.

Im having someone take a look at it now because i dont have the time so maybe they will tell me whats wrong and i can either fix myself later or have them do it if its minor. All that being said, ltd02, if yours ran for 7 years with the problem i might just deal with it if the shop cant shed any light on the the issue. Ive already got 145k on the car so the wife is getting ready to throw the towell in on it. Id love to fix this thing myself though, any guys in seattle area that want to take a newbie under their wing?

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Won't start

Intermittent start issues can be caused by fuel pump. I have a Ford Ranger that had an intermittent start issue - engine would turn over but not start. on 2 or more tries, the engine started and would run fine. This happened twice - both times when I was over 100 miles from home. I dropped the fuel tank and replaced the fuel pump and problem was solved. A failed fuel pump often gives warnings that it is going before failing 100%. Faced with your issues, I would replace the fuel pump - a pain but that's what I would do.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I replaced the sparkplugs and it seemed like my problem was fixed but then i got the weird startup issue again yesterday. Took about 6 cranks to get it started, each time the engine would turn over but it would just choke itself out, i finally got it going. Still weird that it happens after i've been driving for a while, turned it off, then about 5 min. Later try to crank it up again. Worst part about it i was picking the wife up from work so now shes overly worried about the car.

I did use a bosch replacement o2 sensor. Havent gotten any codes from it, and it was a downstream one, so hope that isnt it.

The issue definitely feels like the absence of something, air, fuel, pressure. I admittedly havent gotten in to investigate all the suggestions posted here so far so i need to get my hands dirty.

Im having someone take a look at it now because i dont have the time so maybe they will tell me whats wrong and i can either fix myself later or have them do it if its minor. All that being said, ltd02, if yours ran for 7 years with the problem i might just deal with it if the shop cant shed any light on the the issue. Ive already got 145k on the car so the wife is getting ready to throw the towell in on it. Id love to fix this thing myself though, any guys in seattle area that want to take a newbie under their wing?

fuel delivery issue...the system is not building or holding adequate pressure...

Latest posts

Members online