Stock tire rubbing with 2.5" coil lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdonn

Reaction score
Most of my questions are usually answered in previous threads. But, I can't find anything on this.

I installed a Rusty's 2.5" coil lift a week ago and I have been very happy with the results. However, today, when turning a hard right in a parking lot I heard some rubbing. I looked under while it was turned all the way and the left tire is rubbing on the sway bar. I also noticed the brake line was tight under the top end of the clevis. When I turned the wheels to the left there was no contact with either the tire or the brake line.

I still have the stock 235/65R17s and am looking at the 245/70R17 Revos. I would like to solve any rubbing issues before upgrading the tires.

Is my problem rare? Thanks for any input.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of my questions are usually answered in previous threads. But, I can't find anything on this.

I installed a Rusty's 2.5" coil lift a week ago and I have been very happy with the results. However, today, when turning a hard right in a parking lot I heard some rubbing. I looked under while it was turned all the way and the left tire is rubbing on the sway bar. I also noticed the brake line was tight under the top end of the clevis. When I turned the wheels to the left there was no contact with either the tire or the brake line.

I still have the stock 235/65R17s and am looking at the 245/70R17 Revos. I would like to solve any rubbing issues before upgrading the tires.

Is my problem rare? Thanks for any input.

Yes and No.

1.)
You need to get an alignment since everything is mis-aligned now that the lift is on.

2.)
Your lift is stiff and will settle. Taking it somewhere to wheel can break it in. Just don't go crazy, go somewhere that you can flex it and bounce around a little.

Did you secure the brake line when dropping the control arm and/or after your install was complete? I know my brake line stretches pretty far when turned full lock.

rdonn

Reaction score
No, I haven't had the alignment yet. I just put a couple hundred miles on it and re-torqued everything.

I did not remove or move the brake lines during the install. Maybe I should loosen it and retighten it.

rdonn

Reaction score
Yes, they are the stock 17s that come on the Limited.

Is that another reason you don't see many 17s? I thought it was just the availability of the tire sizes.

What about wheel spacers?

Last edited:

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know on mine and on some others i have looked at the inside of the tire rubs on the sway bar at full lock.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just saw in your sig that you have also done the Clevis lift on top of the 2.5" Rusty Lift. How much Clevis lift did you do? If you had increased the clevis too much you will be extending the brake lines like crazy.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
get it aligned that is part of the problem I am almost sure but also when you lift one things change like where it hits now and never hit before due to the nature of a independent suspension

Tom

saudiliberty

Reaction score
I have the same lift and same tire size, it rubes both sides specially when you make full turn, I solve this problem by installing Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacer, I think for better performance I will change my rims into 15”X8” , 30 tire size.

rdonn

Reaction score
Today was the day I was going to have the alignment done and maybe get the tires.

However, about midnight last night, as I was reading the last posts on this forum I heard the dog barking inside the garage. I walked to the front door and opened it, expecting to see some of the neighborhood teenagers out late. Instead, I find two guys in my wife's Dodge Grand Caravan trying to remove the ignition switch.

Unarmed, the only thing I could think of to do was to start yelling obscenities at the top of my lungs. They bolted and ran to a Ford Super Duty Crew that was parked running in the street and burned rubber out of there.

I spent the day talking to the Dodge dealer, the insurance company and the tow truck driver. They got in by destroying the door lock with a screw driver and were trying to do same to the ignition. They must not have been working on it long, as they did not get the ignition out. The key would still turn the lock but the engine would only run a few seconds and die. Apparently they damaged the chip in the theft deterrent system.

Well, now my wife will be driving my Libby until her van gets back... four or five days, they tell me. Maybe then I can carry on with my plans.

Stuff happens... right?

rdonn

Reaction score
Oh... I forgot to mention...

Kudos to the PPD... their response time: about 3 minutes!

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, good story, sort of. Glad to hear they didn't get off with either of your Jeeps and it sounds like all will be paid for. Hope they don't jack you on ins payments now, though. I hate Ins Co's.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a crazy event!! When you say "unarmed" is that because you are typically armed? Also, be careful without the alignment, does the Jeep have oversteer or pull? Good luck with the Ins Co...

rdonn

Reaction score
Unarmed because I don't typically carry every time I go to the front door... never had this happen before.

The Libby drives great. You wouldn't even think it needs an alignment, except for the rubbing at full lock.

As for the Ins. Co... I found out I have $1K deductible, so I don't think I will be filing a claim, after all. Depends on the estimate.

rdonn

Reaction score
Well, finally got the van back... $935 later and good as new. I just kept thinking all week how glad I am they didn't try to take the KJ.

Now, back to work on the KJ. I found a place that does alignment for $49.95. If it still rubs the sway bar with the stock tires it will surely rub with 245/70R17 Revos. The width will be about the same and the diameter almost 2" more.

Has anyone used the Spidertrax 1-1/4" wheel spacers? I wonder how far the tires would stick out and if it would solve the rubbing problem.

rdonn

Reaction score
UPDATE: I got it aligned today and, though It seemed to drive good, the tow in was way off. It doesn't rub now but there is only about an inch of clearance between the tire and the sway bar on the driver's side. I will get the Revos installed in a couple of days and hopefully they won't rub either.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can loosen all the bolts that hold the sway bar and smack it back toward the passenger side (I use a big rubber deadblow hammer). It'll take care of any rubbing for a while but, it will eventually work it's way back over, if it's anything like mine, anyway.