Stock lib going on 1st aftermarket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i have an '02 KJ Stock about 145k miles on it. I want to get a new air filter I dont know if it makes the car run any better or better MPG but i feel like my jeep needs a new one. Everything is stock, which filter should i grab? Going to auto-zone today.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've never change the air filter?
I went with the K&N, picked it up at autozone for around $58 I think.

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahah well not quite. Im in college, Dad bought the car from his mechanic, so its been maintained well. I just want to start modding it out doing some simple stuff. So i figured start with some basics

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahah well not quite. Im in college, Dad bought the car from his mechanic, so its been maintained well. I just want to start modding it out doing some simple stuff. So i figured start with some basics
O ok yea I would say start with the air filter then move into the spark plugs

2wd or 4wd?

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There a few threads on here discusing different intakes. If your going to stay with the stock intake setup you can get a amsoil or k&n both are good. If you want to change your setup there are a few different brands out there but they all put the filter in the same area. You dont have to spend major money on a top brand kit an ebay kit works fine if you get a 1 piece one and make heat shielding for it. That will be an upgrade as well. Those are your only options right now unless you want a snorkel

Simpleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Save yourself the money and just take the air filter out and get two ankle high pairs of black ****** hose. Stretch them over the intake hose at the filter housing connection and put the hose back on. You will see a definite increase in mpg. Ive been running mine this way for a couple of years and no problems. The engine compartment on a jeep is nothing special to show friends.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Save yourself the money and just take the air filter out and get two ankle high pairs of black ****** hose. Stretch them over the intake hose at the filter housing connection and put the hose back on. You will see a definite increase in mpg. Ive been running mine this way for a couple of years and no problems. The engine compartment on a jeep is nothing special to show friends.

So that's where all the ****** hose dissapears to.......:D

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score

Any special brands to use??? Leggs? Haines?? Do you have to shave the area often??? :p:p:p:p:p:p

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
screwy.gifbs1.gif

While letting massive amounts of large dirt particals into your engine at the same time.

Just stick with a paper filter or order a Amsoil EA series dropin filter,the kj's OEM airbox flows more then the 3.7 needs anyway and it ***** in cold air not hot engine bay air.Stay away from any oiled air filter,there for race engines not street engines that need to last.

Simpleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a negative on the large dirt particles. I pull the throttle body off every few months to check it and it's clean as can be. I don't live on any dirt roads and mine is a mall crawler anyway (I should have stated that from the beginning). As silly as it may sound it does work. I don't feel the Lib is is ever going to be show car or will it gain in value. most people end up trading up at sometime anyhow.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can pick up an OEM spec Fram for like $8. K&N is supposed to be really good, as long as you are not driving in excessively dusty conditions, but those are around $45. There are also other aftermarket air filters that promise increased airflow but I cannot vouch for how effective they are.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

Surely you jest?
Like you are NOT being serious here are you?
That's like saying add ten pounds of sugar to your gas tank. It increases the the energy output of the fuel!

You might get better fuel economy but you certainly will also have less engine longevity. I can only imagine what the insides of your cylinders look like!

To the OP, Amsoil apparently is a really good filter if you don't want to go for one of the reusable versions like K&N, AEM. I would personally stay away from Chinese made crap you find on Fleabay. I have yet to find any real engineers reports on what they flow or to what particulate they filter down to.
If you go for reusable, buy name brand.
If your cheap, buy Fram and replace it more often!

JJ'sKJ sells Amsoil and it looks like I'll be buying from him soon because know one here in the lower mainland on B.C. seems to want my business regarding Amsoil products.

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your going to wheel it get a proper filter, i threw my k & N as it was letting dust pass

a stock filter is fine

i would be concerned about the ***** hose filter IMHO

Last edited:

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pantyhose!?

1st time i have ever heard anyone admit, seriously, to doing That.

Incredible.