Stock grounds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04liberty4x4

Reaction score
How many stock grounds are there? I see one coming directly from negative battery to chasis, where is the engine ground?

The chasis ground appears to be only 8 gauge, any harm in adding another 8 gauge for a more stiff ground system. 8 gauge seems tiny, my honda accord is using 4 gauge for both grounds

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The entire chassis is the negative return for the electrical system. There is no harm in upgrading the battery ground, but if you are concerned about it, you may as well upgrade the ground strap from the chassis to the engine block as well since the alternator is grounded to the engine and the motor mounts have dampeners which don't make good conductors. Of course it doesn't make a lot of sense to upgrade the ground wire larger than the power wire so go ahead and upgrade the charge wire while your at it as well.

Bottom line is.....no bad can come from adding more copper to your ground.

04liberty4x4

Reaction score
I think all the ground wires are 8 gauge, and the power leads all 8 gauge also.

Anyone have good pictures of exactly where they are?

I'm just really **** about good grounds and good power connections. This is in my wife's jeep and after I saw all that corrosion from her dead battery (see other thread). I had some 8 gauge wire lying around and was thinking of doing some simple upgrades to her KJ. I have about 10 feet of 8 gauge and connectors.

How many grounds are there?
How many power connections are there?

I was thinking for the power, leave everything in place and add 1 8 gauge FUSED (80amps maybe?) line directly from alternator to battery for extra power flow.

I have done all of these previously in my honda's when I was running HID's and big stereo's with Optima redtops/yellowtops.

Im a tinker, I always want to make something "better". :D

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful with the electrical crap in the kj. With all the electronics now-a days you can screw stuff up really fast.

Sparky

Reaction score
The grounds suck in my '07. I've noticed the rear windows come up very slow compared to the fronts and the voltage seems to drop out when using multiple accesories. Had the same thing going on in my toy car and it turned out to be insufficient grounds. I plan on adding an additional chassis ground, engine block to chassis ground and double checking the factory body grounds. Should improve the electrical greatly with very little time and money.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my windows do seem to take forever to go up especially when i put them all up at once. lights dim too.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in my 3.8L Grand Prix days, this was a common "upgrade" with some people reporting of slight performance gains. Better spark, etc etc.

I see no issue in grounding the hell out of the vehicle, can't hurt.