Stereo Antenna

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gordo

Reaction score
Last night I installed an Alpine deck in my 2003 KJ. Everything went well, the kit looks nice, but I have one large problem:

The connector for the antenna does not fit in the deck. I have installed many stereos and I have never had an antenna that was not the usual 'universal' size that could just pop in to the back of the deck.

What is up with the antenna connector on the KJ? It seems to me that there is a black plastic sleeve that is covering the conductive connector. Is this sleeve something that can be safely removed? If so how is this done? Is there some sort of special adapter I need to get? Is there some way to jimmy-rig the thing? I pulled this deck from my old car that was totaled, so I do not have a crutchfield kit or anything like that.

I know that many of you have installed Alpine decks before, and have possibly run into the same problem I am having. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get an adapter for this as all newer Mopars are this way. I got mine from ebay for 5 or 6 bucks IIRC.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12 bucks or so at BB, CC, etc. Just bought 2 for by Sirius SWB relay.

RJR

Reaction score
YOU CAN ALSO FIND A "REGULAR OL ANTENNA CONNECTOR" BEHIND THE PASSENGERS SIDE KICK PANEL. FROM THERE JUST RUN A SHORT ANTENNA EXTENSION CABLE TO YOUR AFTERMARKET HEAD UNIT.
I TOOK MY UGLY, CARWASH UNFRIENDLY FENDER MOUNT ANTENNA OFF AND REPLACED IT WITH A UNIVERSAL WINDSHIELD ANTENNA....COVERED THE HOLE WITH A "JEEP TRAIL RATED BADGE....LOOKS LIKE FACTORY !!

steveg944

Reaction score
It's been 7 months since you posted, but thanks for the information RJR.

I bough a Harmon Kardon Drive and Play for my wife's Liberty. Since the stock stereo does not have an interface and I wanted the best reception, I purchased the wired FM transmitter.

I was surprised to see the RF-like connector for the antenna. After reading your post, I simply unsnapped the kick panel to verify the standard antenna connector is available.

It is now all connected and sounds great. Thanks again.

RJR

Reaction score
Removing the Factory Antenna

Here is how I did it....

Well, I have since traded my Libby in for a Commander, but I would be happy to explain the antenna removal process.
If you remove the right kick panel you will find the antenna wire with a connection plug that can be unplugged. This is where you will re-connect the replacement antenna. (I went with a windshield mount antenna from Advance auto, about $15.00)
For the antenna removal, remove the mast, pry off the black plastic cover, remove the large nut that holds the antenna mount on. Attach a piece of wire to the antenna mount and lower it inside the fender. You will be able to remove the antenna mount from the inside of the fender by opening the door and carefully reaching behind the foam noise barrier in the fender (near the door hinges) and removing the mount. The foam can be easily put back in it's original location if you don't damage it or move it too much. Then clean the fender area around the antenna hole and carefully apply your new "Trail Rated Badge" to cover the hole.
Walaaa, it looks like factory, and terrific.