Steeringwheel click on each turn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a clicky or sticky steering wheel. So when I am turning it, sometimes it makes this click sound, as if there was a sticker underneath, which sticks and unsticks when it passes against the other side. I have no problem with steering response, it is not heavy or wiggly, but this noise is getting to me. The sound is more obvious if I turn the wheel left and right rapidly, like while parking, etc.

bfaas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that happened to me when i first got my lib...lasted for only a couple hundred miles and went away, never really looked into it...not sure what it could be.

dnm45227

Reaction score
i here it once in a while out of the rennie, i just turn the radio up. seems to take care of it.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today there was no click.. It could be because it was cold.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn clicking hamsters. :)

USMarine1171

Reaction score
Mine is pretty new, summer 07, and I here a low clicking when I rapidly turn the wheel like when pulling out of the driveway. I can feel it too a little. Sounds like it's coming from where the steering wheel meets the column. Turn signal thing sounds like a good explanation to me.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

Thought provoking statement whose stated it? or is it your own?.

Gige

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is this thread about? Statements???

Anyway, more serious answer, than mice, hampsters or else....

Mine '06 started clicking and it was very annoying. Then I went to service and they changed something under warranty. never found out what was it, got just vague answer they changed the whole steering column....
That fixed the problem for a couple months, but now - clicking is back...
Hmmm, and already replaced two sets of driver side window mechanism, ball joints, fan motor, all under warrranty.....

I'm a bit worried what will happen when the warranty runs out :confused:

Sooo, when I get back home in some 6 weeks, I'm gonna go to service again with this clicking thing...

On some forum I've seen that clockspring was held culprit but I'm not sure. It will be dangerous too as the airbag is connected over it. I also think that it might be the turn signal lever...

Anyway if Jeep is replacing these parts under warranty they are for sure aware of the problem....

Cheers,
Gige

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be the clock spring as well,hope not those suckers are not cheap and even though easy to change(for me,done them before and have the right tools) and to time consuming(about 10min) it can be fun with the airbag and have to get it aligned correctly.

Gige

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was clockspring... Went to different service yesterday and they replaced clockspring (under warranty) and there is no more noise...

Cheers
Gige

Gige

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another update... It wasn't clockspring... Started clicking two days after replacement. Went to service again today, and after a research they came out with steering wheel which was sort of flaking on the hub outside, and touching something plastic. They have removed those flakes and now it's not clicking anymore... If I don't post any more updates, this was final :cool:

Replaced so far (under warranty): steering wheel column, electric switch block, clockspring... Is there anything else to replace???

Sorry for not taking pictures of it. I'm getting old, and took me a while to realise that I have a decent camera on my phone....

Last edited: