Steering Wheel Tilt Column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the Tilt Column Release Cable spring loaded or something (attached to a spring)? Mine might be going bad. Several times recently, I have put a little pressure on the top of the steering wheel, usually just to adjust my position in my seat, and the steering wheel drops down. The lever that you lower to adjust the tilt seems too loose. It seems like road vibration or the jarring it gets when traveling rough roads makes the lever drop. Then it takes little pressure to move the column.

Is this as designed, or is it time to have it fixed?

You must be registered for see images

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No idea how it works, but mine is dead solid. Doesn't budge unless you have the lever down to adjust.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I found this link: Tilt steering lever loose - JeepForum.com
AS per post 4
" Here is a repair procedure for steering column tilt not holding instead of replacing the steering column on Jeep Wrangler and Liberty.

System or Component Will Not Hold,Will Not Stay in Position,Loose;Customer Concern (No DTCs)

Recommendation 1) Remove lower Steering Column Cover (Knee Blocker). 2) Remove 2 springs on Rt & Lt sides of Steering Column. 3) Open Tilt release lever & allow column to drop to full down position. 4) Using channel locks, clamp on tilt stud on left side of column. 5) Using a 15 mm box wrench, turn prevailing torque nut 1/4 of a turn (CRITICAL - make sure stud is held securely as described in step 4). 6) Check Tilt Lever effort, should be about 3 lbs to unlock & 16 lbs to lock. If effort is low, repeat steps 4 & 5. 7) Apply 2 drops of 290 loctite to stud threads (MS-CC-77, wicking type, DCX part number 04187099). Partial cure in 2 hours, full cure in 24 hours. 8) Check tilt function by moving column up and down. 9) Move column to full up position and lock lever, reinstall springs. 10) Reinstall lower Steering Column Cover (Knee Blocker)"