steering wheel shakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohh i missed that, they are Cooper Discoverer tires.. No wonder...

Not to rag on your tires, but from what i have read online, reviews on sites that sell tires, Jeep and Dodge forums i'm a member on, these tires are hated by many.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, balanced at 30 mph is balanced at 60 and so forth.

Discoverer HT's have a nasty habit of having out-of-round carcasses, but nobody listens to ThunderbirdJunkie so we will continue chasing screwball theories:D

Yep, i believe the Junkie!

I have read a lot of stuff on these also. Wasn't there a post on LOST or somewhere where a guy took a dial gauge and checked the roundness on some of these tires?? Maybe it was a Dodge forum.. I know i read it somewhere. He quoted a tire manufacturer spec of how close they have to be and then how bad some of the tires he tested were, not just the Coopers, but a few different brands and models.

Anyway, there was some posts a while back where i read about the Discoverer having a roundness problem. If you bought them brand new from a dealer i would ask them to replace them under warranty, maybe you do have one slightly out of round. No amount of balancing will cure that, you can make the tire balance but still feel the rise and fall of the roundness problem which will make the front end shake.

rjcapp

Reaction score
I'm a believer too.

Its a shame. I can do deep knee bends over a fire hydrant after Cooper Tires got done with me.

I would go with another brand tire if I could sell these. I will not stick these on someone else. Ill have to ride it out.

Again thanks too everyone that helped.

Yep, i believe the Junkie!

I have read a lot of stuff on these also. Wasn't there a post on LOST or somewhere where a guy took a dial gauge and checked the roundness on some of these tires?? Maybe it was a Dodge forum.. I know i read it somewhere. He quoted a tire manufacturer spec of how close they have to be and then how bad some of the tires he tested were, not just the Coopers, but a few different brands and models.

Anyway, there was some posts a while back where i read about the Discoverer having a roundness problem. If you bought them brand new from a dealer i would ask them to replace them under warranty, maybe you do have one slightly out of round. No amount of balancing will cure that, you can make the tire balance but still feel the rise and fall of the roundness problem which will make the front end shake.

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe after a while you can wear them down round!! LOL

I did a lot of tire research before i bought mine, Kumho Road Venture KL78, and i came across the Cooper's. At first i was considering them as i have a shop nearby that sell's Cooper tires, but then i read reviews on them and kinda turned away from them.

Have you re-balanced the rear tires yet? Maybe if they balance up good you can try swapping front tires one at a time and see if the rest of the shake goes away, then take the tire that you changed out and toss it on the back for the spare.

rjcapp

Reaction score
Have you re-balanced the rear tires yet? Maybe if they balance up good you can try swapping front tires one at a time and see if the rest of the shake goes away, then take the tire that you changed out and toss it on the back for the spare.

I still have to balance the rears and I will try what you suggested. Work is getting in the way of fun.
Maybe a set of Kumhos'
Much appreciated.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have to balance the rears and I will try what you suggested. Work is getting in the way of fun.
Maybe a set of Kumhos'
Much appreciated.

Yeah that darn work... LOL

The Kumho's are nice, great traction wet and dry. Just drove through a hellatious downpour today, the type where you turn your wipers as fast as they can go and you still lean forward to try and see.. LOL

As always, a nice grip on the road with these tires.