steering wheel peeling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Not concerned with the lack of an airbag? Uhh... ok whatever.

:hugs airbag:

Anyway...

The steering wheels peel. They're cheap. Just gotta deal with it. My '06 steering wheel is holding up WAY better than my '04's did.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are not rich enough to replace jeeps every two years or so, Mr. Marlon, Sir!

csukoh78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My steering wheel is leather.. I wouldn't cover it up with that kinda taxicab plastic. No offense.
I considered replacing the wheel altogether.. If it peels into no-man's land, I am just swapping the wheel.

Its a Jeep, not a Lexus.

One shouldn't be afraid of getting a Jeep dirty. The cover I have looks great because it matches the tupperware perfectly in my black Freedom, and just feels better to the touch, other than the foam rubber of the Freedom steering wheel.

Besides, if I want to feel leather, I just hop into the Audi :)

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had this Jeep for the past 3-4 year and it hasn't exploded once! Why do I need it? People do drive vehicles without air bags (i.e, older XJ's, SJ, CJ, YJ etc..)

Some things I can live without. The Airbag? It only takes 1 time of needing the airbag when it's not available. Not worth it to me. Sure, plenty of vehicles don't have them. Plenty of vehicles run just fine without seatbelts or radial tires, why don't you throw them out too? Have you had to call the fire department in the past 3-4 years? If not, why don't you start a proposal to rid your community of them, they are obviously useless. Do you lock your car every night? Has someone broken in? If not, why not just stop locking it as nothing has happened in the past 3-4 years. Technology advances to make us safer. I for one, will use it as much as possible to keep myself as safe as possible. It's all about prevention.

I agree with Phil, get a wheel cover. I don't know if anyone has looked at the link I posted, but I am telling you those are great wheel covers at a good price.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some things I can live without. The Airbag? It only takes 1 time of needing the airbag when it's not available. Not worth it to me. Sure, plenty of vehicles don't have them. Plenty of vehicles run just fine without seatbelts or radial tires, why don't you throw them out too? Have you had to call the fire department in the past 3-4 years? If not, why don't you start a proposal to rid your community of them, they are obviously useless. Do you lock your car every night? Has someone broken in? If not, why not just stop locking it as nothing has happened in the past 3-4 years. Technology advances to make us safer. I for one, will use it as much as possible to keep myself as safe as possible. It's all about prevention.

I agree with Phil, get a wheel cover. I don't know if anyone has looked at the link I posted, but I am telling you those are great wheel covers at a good price.

Wow, calm down man!! I didn't say I was going to do this, I was merely making a suggestion. If I was, or anyone else for that matter, were going to swap out their steering wheel for a Grant, I'm sure they would were their seatbelt to protect themselves from an accident. And no, I don't plan on getting rid of my Fire Department....:D or my radial tires.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, calm down man!! I didn't say I was going to do this, I was merely making a suggestion. If I was, or anyone else for that matter, were going to swap out their steering wheel for a Grant, I'm sure they would were their seatbelt to protect themselves from an accident. And no, I don't plan on getting rid of my Fire Department....:D or my radial tires.

I'm calm, it wouldn't be me without the airbag. Mine's intact and in the vehicle ;)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Airbags supplement seatbelts, they are not a replacement for the other. I'd much rather hit a "pillow" in a head on collision rather than a hard steering wheel and suffer head and neck injuries.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i'm gonna be replacing the steering wheel on mine in a week or two so if anyone wants the old one there welcome ,only problem is im in the uk so dont know what the postage would be. 2004 2.8 crd limited (cruise,airbag,radio controls). Getting a half aluminium half leather one.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha, yea, Atrus covered the air bag thing fairly well. If you had used it once then your liberty is most likely totaled.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tony,
I am interested in the half aluminium half leather one as well, but what would you need from this end that you don't have there.. Oh and I checked the parts and accessories in EU Jeep dealers,, phewww they are through the roof..
200 EURO for set of tail lamps?? They gotta be crazy. 200 EURO is like 300 dollares muchos moneys.

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea cost to bring stuff over from Europe makes it tough. For what it costs for that Startech wheel, i could probably take mine over to a local shop and have them re-wrap the entire wheel with real leather instead of they pleather it has now. I guess sending stuff in the other direction would make sense...Tony, you should start a thread, i'd be surprised if nobody stepped up to give you a hand.

btw, there are some OEM euro parts we can get here, with the right part number. A guy over at LOST replaced his cracked rear bumper with the euro bumper because his dealership took the time to get the right part number for him. For a while i wanted to replace the door moldings with one that said Cherokee, but i wasn't able to figure out which part number i needed.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you remove the trim on the steering wheel to tuck the wheelskin behind the plastic and make it look neat?

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bought-new 2005 started to peel after just a few years. I found a steering wheel cover that matches the colour scheme of the interior, and which also gives the wheel a much better "hand feel" because there's a thicker grip to it now - I never much liked the way the wheel felt before, it always seemed too thin.

SiRRuS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup All of them will peel, I just ordered a Genuine Italian leather wheel skin, custom made for the KJ, about 1 hours of pulling and stitching and your wheel will be better than new, and far more comfier.