Stealership...Now I Know Why

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ups4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, on my way to work today the check engine light came on (aka Malfunction Indicator Light or MIL). So I took the day off to take the Liberty to the dealer...she's still under warranty. After getting the rental car, I messed around for a couple of hours, got some lunch and got back to the dealership around 1:30 only to find that the Jeep hadn't even been in to be diagnosed.

OK I thought, the mall is nearby so I took a stroll and then got the call. The service tech said that the mechanic says there is a fouled plug and also a fuel injector service was needed. Suggested a full tune up and fuel injector service.

Now I just replaced the plugs in Feb....about 2,300 miles on them with no problems. At that time I also replaced the air filter and cleaned the throttle body. I called her on this and asked which plug was fouled. After some stuttering and ummm's, she said the mechanic didn't tell her which one it was but insisted there was a miss in the firing of the plugs. I've never noticed even the slightest stutter or tremble at any speed.

I basically told her I thought it was a crock and paid for the tire rotation and left. Now, this weekend's project will be to pull all the plugs and make sure the plugs are good. Later this evening, the MIL went out...this was after several "normal driving cycles". This leads me to believe it may have been just a poorly replaced fuel cap or some other simple thing.

The bottom line is, there probably was nothing wrong, yet she was going to try and scam me for several hundred dollars of unneeded service.
Now that's what I call stealing. I have never had a single problem in the past with this dealership...been dealing with them for almost 20 years now. I'm wondering if I should bring the issue up with the GM, who's a good friend of mine, or just let it lay and forget about it.

Paul

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The computer may notice a misfire that you can't feel. Them not being able to tell you which cylinder it was kinda makes me wonder if that was the actual diagnosis.

They may have just wanted some money out of you.

See if the light comes back on, if it was a problem, most likely it will come back on and soon.

Get the codes from the computer yourself. Take a trip to Autozone, they can read the codes for you.

aksloan

Reaction score
A few years ago I had a Ford Windstar that was always serviced at the dealership and about a week after an oil change I noticed some oil drops on the garage floor. Went back to the dealer and they put it up on the rack .... about 20 minutes later a service writer showed me a quote for $1,800 explaining how I needed new gaskets and some other crap. Told them I had to discuss it with the wife first. The next day I stopped at a neighborhood garage and asked them to look at it and the guy said the filter wasn't tight enough.... he said no charge but I made him take a $20 for his time.

To this day I'm pissed I never confronted the STEALERSHIP about it but with word of mouth and me never dealing with them again it had to cost them a few bucks over the years.

ups4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The computer may notice a misfire that you can't feel. Them not being able to tell you which cylinder it was kinda makes me wonder if that was the actual diagnosis.

They may have just wanted some money out of you.

See if the light comes back on, if it was a problem, most likely it will come back on and soon.

Get the codes from the computer yourself. Take a trip to Autozone, they can read the codes for you.
I have a feeling they were just hoping for a sucker and some quick extra profit. But if Autozone will read the codes for me, I probably should make sure.

They just do this for free....you don't even have to buy anything from them? ;)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
A few years ago I had a Ford Windstar that was always serviced at the dealership and about a week after an oil change I noticed some oil drops on the garage floor. Went back to the dealer and they put it up on the rack .... about 20 minutes later a service writer showed me a quote for $1,800 explaining how I needed new gaskets and some other crap. Told them I had to discuss it with the wife first. The next day I stopped at a neighborhood garage and asked them to look at it and the guy said the filter wasn't tight enough.... he said no charge but I made him take a $20 for his time.

To this day I'm pissed I never confronted the STEALERSHIP about it but with word of mouth and me never dealing with them again it had to cost them a few bucks over the years.

That sounds like what my mom was just going through.

She takes car to dealer for oil leak. They recommend Timing Belt replacement (she DID need to get it done though). They charge her $700 and replace the valve cover gasket (warranty). It's still leaking though, so she takes it back, they say it's a leaking power steering hose (not warranty). Power steering fluid is full. Oh and looks like coolant is suddenly leaking too (while also remaining full). They quote her $900 to fix all of it. Takes vehicle back home after being angry because none of that other stuff was leaking beforehand. Vehicle slowly starts leaking worse and worse. Mom calls manufacturer customer service. They say take it back. They send someone out to look at it.

New engine block and contents all at dealership expense. :D Still not sure where the coolant was coming from though. (or if it was ever leaking at all...)

It's still in the shop though and has been there for a while now.

ripper42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just got my back from the stealership the tps on the throttle body went bad they scammed my mom it to $400 BS fuel cleaning and throttle body cleaning.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stealership by name stealership by nature, when mine went in for ball joint recall they told me they had been trying to get hold of me as my front pads were nearly down to the metal,i asked how much to change pads and was quoted £180 i laughed in their face .On way home i picked up some pads for £35 ,called at my m8's garage to use a ramp stripped down the brakes and was well p**sed to discover that pads were only a quarter worn.As a result i will never ever step foot in their service dept no matter what. On the other hand though the two guys in parts dept are fantastic with advice and part numbers ect.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
stealership by name stealership by nature, when mine went in for ball joint recall they told me they had been trying to get hold of me as my front pads were nearly down to the metal,i asked how much to change pads and was quoted £180 i laughed in their face .On way home i picked up some pads for £35 ,called at my m8's garage to use a ramp stripped down the brakes and was well p**sed to discover that pads were only a quarter worn.As a result i will never ever step foot in their service dept no matter what. On the other hand though the two guys in parts dept are fantastic with advice and part numbers ect.

I have noticed that no matter where you live a stealership is a stealership!
The Cheap crooked bastard that I worked for in the Netherlands and his stealership were also a bunch of con-artists!
Right down to replacing with newer (NOT new) gas, brake, and clutch pedal rubber pads and swapping out the speedometer with a unit with 9900-15000 less Kilometers showing on the clock on a twin point injected Mini imported from Germany!
Or re-badging a bone stock 1000cc Mini and cloning it to make and sell it off as a 1000cc RSP Mini Cooper!

One day all these fine upstanding business men will get whats coming to them! ;)

smarkham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See my previus post about my experience with MY stealership. They were lying to my face and I had the cotract in my hand showing them the line item. YOu know I"m going to stop here, put my soap box away bcse I'll only get upset. They are NEVER getting a dime from me and I bad mouth them to everyone I can. That's what you get. Can I name them on this forum?

NOW..here is the good news...I found the holy grail of mechanics. All of my neighbors recommended them. They are a bit more expensive outfront but they told I didn't need anything else when I took my KJ for servicing. And the work they did was superior. All my neighbors have only good things to say about them. So I'm lucky.

Cheers

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It almost seems like DC have told the stealers to scam a brake job when doing the BJ recall.
Several people have reported this here, including me. My brakes weren't even half worn.