Starting while drive belt is removed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read on here to try this trick to figure out if various noises are coming from the engine itself or the accessories under the hood. If I do this, I know all sorts of lights on the dash will go nuts, which leads to a couple questions:

1. How long can I safely run the Jeep without the belt in place?
2. Once I turn it off, and put the belt back on, will I still have warning lights lighting up?

Trying to pinpoint the source of the noise (rapid ticking after cold start, goes away when it warms up) has only lead me to say that it's in the general vicinity of the AC compressor, but I can't get any more specific.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The critical things that the serpentine belt is turning are the alternator and water pump. You'll be getting a warning light due to no power being generated from the alternator, until you replace the belt. On a hot engine, check it quickly since the water pump won't be circulating the engine coolant. You have a bit of time to play with it on a cold engine.

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I would only be doing it on a completely cold engine. Probably not more than 3 minutes.