Starting Hesitation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ikster

Reaction score
Our 2005 Liberty V-6 hesitates to start when warm. We start and stop it often when we are out Geocaching. It chugs, so I turn it off and then try again and it starts. The engine swallowed a valve seat last month and we had the engine removed and both heads done. Didn’t stop it from the starting issue. Had it checked for codes and low fuel pressure came up. It was suggested to replace the fuel filter, but the filter is in the tank. I’ve added fuel injector cleaner and that seems to help some. Going to try turning the key on for several seconds before engaging the starter to see if that helps. I should be able to clean the screen without replacing the pump I hope.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd start with a fuel pressure test. What are the readings in psi? IGN ON, and reading after sitting IGN off for 15 minutes ?
What was the problem code # ?

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive noticed injectors seeping can affect that, as well as getting the CCKP reset/relearned. The relearn is easy but it takes a computer(unless someone has a trick. Had to borrow a friend's shop tool a couple times.