Starter problems? Need help confirming the culprit...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
A part number for this would be great if you get a chance. Let us know!!!!!:D

Will do ASAP.

Would that $220 be the steering column?

No, I'm not sure exactly what the part is called but it mounts horizontally through the column. It's literally the key hole and everything, the key goes in and slides a rod through the column into the ignition switch. That rod on mine had a chip busted off of it and wouldn't fully turn the ignition switch causing it not to engage and not start. I twisted the switch manually with a pair of needle nose and it started right up.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do ASAP.

No, I'm not sure exactly what the part is called but it mounts horizontally through the column. It's literally the key hole and everything, the key goes in and slides a rod through the column into the ignition switch. That rod on mine had a chip busted off of it and wouldn't fully turn the ignition switch causing it not to engage and not start. I twisted the switch manually with a pair of needle nose and it started right up.

Oh yeah, that's the piece. There seems to be some confusion in the world. Some people (including the shop I went to) claim you need a new steering column. Other people seem to be able to fix their ignition switch problems without a new steering column. I've dismantled my entire ignition switch assembly and had the whole thing removed. That rod assembly is cast aluminum with a nylon rod that goes through the middle of it.

Is this the part that broke?

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang man $220? If power is getting to your starter, but simply the ignition is not triggering the starter, it could be a simple $20 fix. In my F150, I put in a push-button ignition from O'Reilly for ~$20. When I originally went under the truck with a screwdriver (and the power on), I could hit the two points on the starter to start the truck. The diagnosis was an ignition problem (sounds similar to yours).

I bought a $10 push-button ignition switch and a spool of ~14 guage wire, and wired the button from the dash to the starter. Now I just turn the power on the ignition and push the button...works awesome.

Of course this would take away from the factory look and all, or maybe I completely misunderstood your problem :). Good luck.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that's the piece. There seems to be some confusion in the world. Some people (including the shop I went to) claim you need a new steering column. Other people seem to be able to fix their ignition switch problems without a new steering column. I've dismantled my entire ignition switch assembly and had the whole thing removed. That rod assembly is cast aluminum with a nylon rod that goes through the middle of it.

Is this the part that broke?

yes thats exactly the part that broke!

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Turns out, the mechanic did replace the entire column, chrysler doesn't sell the piece that broke separately... but I got it back today fixed and ready to rock. Took a week and a half for the part to come in.

Midgear

Reaction score
are you talking about your ignition lock cylinder? that's what the key goes into, then turns.

they don't sell these parts just by itself?

edit: after looking at that post made by Jnaut showing the part that broke.. leaves me wondering exactly what that thing is? where does it go? is that inside the steering column?

Last edited: