Starter or battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

O5berylgrnrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to start the kj this morning turned over a crank and a half slowly then smoke from under hood tonite i checked the cables connections all look good i tried boosting it well it started not that well mind you shut it off and restarted it several times left it for an hour it cranked extremely sluggish and seems battery is dead power to all lights interior fuel pump but turn the key and it all dims any suggestions everything is closed now so dont have access to another battery and my multimeter seems to have sprouted legs

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
My guess is starter bushings are worn grounding out the starter and shorting out the battery.

Smoke may have come from a fusible link or starter wire cooking insulation.

Battery might be damaged from the experience.

And the "good news"? I'm just guessing.

O5berylgrnrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well battery tested 100% good tapped starter hooked up battery starter cranked once quick then lagged then clicking solenoid then tapped and just lagging slow crank guess its time to order a starter any reason a delco remy starter wouldnt be a good idea?

Last edited: