Squeaky Lift Gate Glass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DankyDanko

Reaction score
Hi there,
I had always feared that one day the back lift glass in the rear gate would begin to squeak. I have been in dozens of older Jeep Cherokees and Chevy Blazers that when driving down the road you hear a god awful squeak sound over every bump, stone, or even the slightest motion while driving. And now I am hearing it in my Jeep. It i'snt the loudest noise but I am a delivery driver (I know what a stupid vehicle choice to delivery drive in) and i spend quite a bit of time in my liberty and within the next two weeks I will be driving it to the Outer banks which is 1,000 mile round trip and I'm sure I will be driving up and down the drivable beaches while I'm there. Any ideas on a quick fix other than someone saying "spray some WD40 in there"? Because a similar thread is on lostjeep.com and that was some of their input. I found nothing on here so I figured what better time for me to start my first thread.
Thanks

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same problem and I REALLY have to say that it was driving me NUTS!!!

I tried everything but the squiky noise just kept on comming back after a few days.:freak3:

A friend suggested using some vaseline and leting it set on the rubber with the gate and lift glass open for half a day, so as to soften it up again.

But I ended up using some left over foamy rubber cord that I had, about 0,5cm thick and got rid of the problem once and for all!

I straightened up a wire hanger, made a small loop on one end and thraded some thread. I left a couple of meters of thead, cut and taped the rubber cord on the other end.

If you take a closer look at the rubber seal around the rear gate you will notice that it has some holes on it.
I used those holes to get the wire hanger and the line through and hole after hole I slowly pushed and pulled the rubber cord inside the seal. The holes in the seal are flexible enough to expand. Corners were dificult so I ended up taking the rubber seal of the rig flexing it straigth untill I passed the curve and then on to the next hole ..

The entire process took me like 20 minutes

DONE FOR GOOD!!!:smokin:

hope this helps!

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fix was deleting the BFG KMs and getting duratracs.

You could also get new moldings maybe. Quick fix would be vaseline or silicone spray. I'm assuming you know that it is in fact the rubber molding and not a plastic panel.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Go to NAPA and get some Sil-Glyde 765-1351
works great and doesn't leave a greasy film like Vasoline etc
It also works on brake pad squeal, caliper sticking, etc
Thin film over all of the weather stripping and you'll be good