Squeak when going over bumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iiTempesT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So like the title says, my Jeep has this squeak to it when I go over bumps. I believe it is coming from the rear. Could it possibly be one of my springs or something else? Any ideas would be great

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you duplicate the sound by pushing up and down on any corner? If so, you need an assistant to do the pushing while you lay on you back and listen/feel around. A spring DOES NOT make a noise. One of the spring insulators might, or control arm bushing, or ball joint, or tie rod end, or, ad infinitum. If you can lay your hand on the part that's actually making the sound you'll be able to feel a vibration/dissonance through your fingertips.

Bob

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the sway bar to frame bushings, anything really with a bushing in it.. Chasing squeaks I've learned can turn into a money pit. Start with what seems most obvious, then if it doesn't get better you'll have to go to plan b, c, etc.. LOTS of different parts that can squeak, my damn seat squeaks when I make a turn but my 215 lb ass doesn't help either.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Colder weather= sway bar bushing noise ( on some that don't spray them out every now and again)

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seat squeak

Check the sway bar to frame bushings, anything really with a bushing in it.. Chasing squeaks I've learned can turn into a money pit. Start with what seems most obvious, then if it doesn't get better you'll have to go to plan b, c, etc.. LOTS of different parts that can squeak, my damn seat squeaks when I make a turn but my 215 lb ass doesn't help either.

My 2003 Limited had a bad seat squeak. Whenever I shifted weight in the seat it squeaked. I found the cause was broken "ears" that the 2 rear seat bolts bolted into. My Libby had 6 bolts securing the seat bottom to the frame, two on each side and two on the rear. The "ears" that the two rear bolts went into had both fatigued and broken off the seat frame. I just removed the 2 rear bolts and the "ears" which were loose from the frame anyway and no more squeak. The 2 rear bolts were used just to properly position the seat bottom to the rear of the frame & the 4 side bolts hold the seat bottom in place. No more squeaking which was a big irritant to me. Check yours out and let us know if that is your problem.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2003 Limited had a bad seat squeak. Whenever I shifted weight in the seat it squeaked. I found the cause was broken "ears" that the 2 rear seat bolts bolted into. My Libby had 6 bolts securing the seat bottom to the frame, two on each side and two on the rear. The "ears" that the two rear bolts went into had both fatigued and broken off the seat frame. I just removed the 2 rear bolts and the "ears" which were loose from the frame anyway and no more squeak. The 2 rear bolts were used just to properly position the seat bottom to the rear of the frame & the 4 side bolts hold the seat bottom in place. No more squeaking which was a big irritant to me. Check yours out and let us know if that is your problem.

I'll check that out when I get the free time, Bob. Hopefully nothing is fatigued to the point of failure, but we will see :mexsmoke: The squeaking isn't a HUGE issue for me, I used to own a '94 XJ and it didn't matter what you did, you could be sitting still and the damn thing would squeak or rattle. So, I guess you could say I'm used to it :gr_grin: Thanks Bob

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.