Speedometer Incorrect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked my speedometer today against my GPS and the MPH was off by anywhere from 2-3MPH. I don't know how accurate the GPS is but the difference seems sizable so I'm wondering if I can investigate further. I looked into the effect of running a non-stock tire and the difference should be 1.1%, which in the 60MPH range should be about 1MPH or so.

I guess it boils down to which one is wrong. In my last car, the GPS was off by 1MPH, so I kind of believe it over the Liberty...

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd trust the GPS over any speedometer - even though it only updates once per second (typically) it is more accurate. About the only time this may not be true is if you are in a deep urban environment with lots of tall buildings. You could always do the tried and true time vs. distance method to determine speedometer error if you have a good stretch of road to do it.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you have bigger tires? If so, then yeah it'll be off unless you get the speedometer re-calibrated. I know my JK is about 5 mph off if I'm going 60 (it says 60, i'm actually doing 65)....but my tires are 2 inches taller than stock.

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they are 235/70/16 compared to 225/75/16 (at least that's what the window sticker says). The speedometer should be 1.1% too fast buts greater than that according to the GPS...

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That shouldn't be a big enough difference in height to really matter. In fact, the 235/70 is actually shorter than the 225/75's so if anything you should be going slower than it says you are....if it says you're going 60, you should actually be going about 59.3.

http://www.paspeedo.com/calculator.htm

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That shouldn't be a big enough difference in height to really matter. In fact, the 235/70 is actually shorter than the 225/75's so if anything you should be going slower than it says you are....if it says you're going 60, you should actually be going about 59.3.

http://www.paspeedo.com/calculator.htm

Um, thats what I said, 1.1% difference. [60*(1-.011) = 59.34] :)

The GPS speed was always slower than the Speedometer speed and it seemed to differ anywhere from 2-3mph, which seems kind of high to me.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um, thats what I said, 1.1% difference. [60*(1-.011) = 59.34] :)

The GPS speed was always slower than the Speedometer speed and it seemed to differ anywhere from 2-3mph, which seems kind of high to me.

You didn't specify whether you are going faster, or slower than it says you are. I assumed you were talking about going faster than the speedo says....because if it's only 1, 2, or 3 mph difference, why would anyone care about going slower than the speedo says.....if anything that would help you NOT to speed.

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd rather it say I'm going faster than I really am but what's the relationship between the speedometer and the odometer? It would suck to lose mileage with regards to the warranty...

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point, maybe try going to the dealer to get it re-calibrated? Mine is the opposite, when it's all said and done I would have driven MORE miles than my odometer will read. :D

musicaldoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you that all the KJ sold in Europe with 236/65/17 are apx 8% faster (on the speedometer) than what checked on any GPS!!!