Speed control with the rear gate open?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pnorton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok here goes my question.
I have a 2005 CRD sport. My wife and I were parked at a restaurant, she had closed the rear gate (but not tightly) before entering. I started the jeep and began driving when I noticed the 'bing' telling me that something wasn't right. Sure enough the instrument panel was flashing the word 'gate'. I put it in park, got out and just pushed the gate closed. Got back in and started to drive. I turned a corner and imediately noticed a lack of power. The engine would not allow me to go above 25- 30 mph. I turned another corner and stopped, then started again, same problem. So I decided to turn the engine off, checked the gate, and got back in. I started the engine and all everything was back to normal. Full engine power and have not had a problem since. So any ideas what happened? Is there a speed control if the gate is open? Should I take it back to the dealer and have them look into it?
Thanks for reading this far.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! I bet you are right about that. Check you owners manual and see if that is mentioned. I guess it's not a bad safety idea to have that. :-k

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
I've done it before on mine (2002), when i was bringing home home long pvc pipe and had no problems.

Bennett

2003KJ

Reaction score
Bennett said:
I've done it before on mine (2002), when i was bringing home home long pvc pipe and had no problems.

Bennett

You had teh gate open or the window? I ride around with the rear window flipped up all the time, no problems, minus the flashing "rear glass" on the odometer.

edit: How did you drive with the gate still unlached part of the way and the rear glass down? On mine the minute i open the rear gate the wiindow flips up, and I can't latch the window till the door is shut all the way.

Pnorton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gate was shut but not completely. The window did latch and was shut. I have not been able to try it again so I'm still stumped???

Btw. I looked in the owners manual and didn't see anything.

kjk

Reaction score
I hauled a table yesterday with the rear gate open, no problems. I have an 02.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
I like Jon's level of commitment to this forum! \:D/

hm...tried with the glass open..the gate not fully closed, doors open...
no change in power or anything...

i got an 02..tho..so it must be a new thing...

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-=JoN=- said:
grogiefrog said:
I like Jon's level of commitment to this forum! \:D/

hm...tried with the glass open..the gate not fully closed, doors open...
no change in power or anything...

i got an 02..tho..so it must be a new thing...

Thanks for trying Jon. =D>

Pnorton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am beginning to love Jon more and more each day.
=D> Thanks!!

2003KJ

Reaction score
-=JoN=- said:
Pnorton said:
I am beginning to love Jon more and more each day.
=D> Thanks!!

NP
u know that show, everybody loves raymond...
it's actually based on me...LoL

j/k's
(blarg) (blarg) (blarg) (blarg) (blarg) (blarg) loser.gif loser.gif loser.gif

PitViper

Reaction score
Take it back to the dealer.

There is a TSB concerning the CRD’s an a loss of power

Pnorton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a quick gate test. No power issues, so I'm taking it back to the dealer, they need to fix a ding that was already there anyway. Keep you posted.

Pnorton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quick update. Dropped it off at the dealer, they said they would look at it. They are fixing a ding that was there when i bought it so they are keeping it over night. They loaned me a 05 cheorke (sp) Laredo. It is nice but I still prefer the Liberty!
I think the dealer will tell me to bring it in if it does it again, that it was a one time occurance.