Speaking of those light bars... fuel mileage.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guitarzan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems there's a lot of chatter about the Renegade light bars here. Just wondering if those cut into fuel mileage much? I know the difference in the newer low profile light bars on police vehicles makes a fairly dramatic difference over the old bars.

Since my KJ is a daily driver I'd like to know what the difference is if any.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Logically, anything which increases aerodynamic drag will have an effect on mileage. My guess is, however, that the stock lightbar would have an effect too hard to notice or pin down. Like many other things, fractions of a percent.

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i have a lightbar... roof rack... extra front lights... and a bunch metal all around extra of course, and I still get 18mpg!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you might as well lite up the KJ then if you want....:D

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe it's because I can be a leadfoot...(sometimes....:D) I never get above 19....

Ah well....it doesn't matter to me!!!:cool:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i have a lightbar... roof rack... extra front lights... and a bunch metal all around extra of course, and I still get 18mpg!

I had all that plus a spare tire in my roof basket and was getting 19 MPG. Once I removed all of it the mileage popped back up to 23 MPG. I don't do that many night runs and don't need all the extra storage.

In regards to the Renegade lightbar, I doubt that it would affect your gas mileage enough to notice.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lowest I've ever gotten with my Renegade was 16 mpg and that was in 4wd in the snow and cold...hit 22 once beyond that. Light bar doesn't seem to make a difference--it's conservative driving tactics that do the trick ;)

Boiler

Reaction score
The shape and the closeness to the roof (on the roof) of the stock lightbar should hands down make it the most drag efficient roof lighting system. I would guess there would be no noticable effect after installing one. Tall lights / racks / lightbars would have many times more effect, though still hard to notice. 10x a tiny amount is still a tiny amount.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't ya know just hooking up the wires costs ya 2mpg?

surprised ya didn't put some high pressure sodium lights up there or something ;)