Spark Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sharpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and sum wont run right unless yu use platinum.....i had a ford ranger with a 4.0 v6 that HAD to have platinum plugs. that little sticker under the hood said so and it was right!! lol!!

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
There are alot of engines that if you do not use cooper core plugs the engine will not run right,the 5.7 "so called" HEMI and the Jeep 4.0 I6 are 2 that only like to run good on copper core plugs.

HMMM,thought we were talking 3.7L V6

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the little POS rubber insulators that fall down in the intake manifold! Stuff a rag below before you unplug the coil wire!

trophyslayer

Banned
Reaction score
When I checked the Autolite website...it calls for APP3923 double plat. Think they just changed the part numbers? I looked them up for a 2003 liberty V-6.

thats what i just put in my 2002 a few weeks ago, minus the double plats just single for me, but he 3923 was the same

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got them changed last night. The old ones were really burnt up and the gap was really big. It makes me wonder if they were ever changed. They weren't to bad to replace except for #6. Me and my friend had to remove the coolant tank just to get it out.

The engine runs great now and has a lot more pep :D

Last edited:

bgsneeze

Reaction score
NGK plugs

I have used NGK ZFR6FGP plugs. They are platinum plugs and work well. They aren't to expensive. I change them every 30 to 40 thousand miles.

Liberty06

Reaction score
The OEM plugs are done by 25k...You will be amazed what new plugs do...I didn't use Autolites however..I used whatever the NAPA guy gave me. So now at 6k I am replacing them again! Not happy...but will be with Autolites I hope. If not I am selling my 06 and buying a Ford..LOL

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM plugs are done by 25k...You will be amazed what new plugs do...I didn't use Autolites however..I used whatever the NAPA guy gave me. So now at 6k I am replacing them again! Not happy...but will be with Autolites I hope. If not I am selling my 06 and buying a Ford..LOL
Go with the AP5224(Plat) or APP5224(Double Plat) (Cheers)

Liberty06

Reaction score
Yes

Thanks Rage...yes I took your advice from a previous post...Those are on the shopping list for certain. Back under the hood this week or next. Just wondering...are the double Plats worth it?

L

lil black liberty

Thanks Rage...yes I took your advice from a previous post...Those are on the shopping list for certain. Back under the hood this week or next. Just wondering...are the double Plats worth it?

There has been a few Jeep Liberties on here that had issues with the double plats causing interference in stereos/cbs and performance issues with them as well..

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I installed the double platinums a few weeks ago, and they've been doing just fine. I normally run the regular platinums, but my local auto parts place were out... so I thought I'd give these a try. I don't see a huge difference between the regular and the double's though... just FYI.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have the Double Plats in the box. Haven't got around to installing them yet because it hasn't been warm enough to work on my KJ. I've heard nothing but good things about the Plats and DoublePlats though.

I'd like to know where you got the interference/performance issues info from. I've read many of the spark plug threads on here and I've heard nothing but praise from owners that use the doubleplats.

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using the Bosch Platinums Plus plugs in mine. Now have around 10,000 miles on 'em. No complaints. I was getting a rough idle a couple of weeks ago and I started to cuss the plugs... turned out to be a failing water pump bearing, now pump's replaced and engine runs smooth as hell again, so again, no complaints.

However I can't really report any totally boss performance gains or even improved gas mileage, which I track very carefully. In fact, my eight-month gas mileage trend has gone down slightly. So...:shrug:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
At about 30,000 I changed my plugs and used the OEM NGK's. I might switch them to the Autolite double platinums sometime during the summer when I check them to see what they look like. They are easy to change and not expensive anyway.

Dave

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just curious why everyone suggests changing double-plats every 30K? from everything i've heard and seen, double-plats are supposed to be a 100K mile plug.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There has been a few Jeep Liberties on here that had issues with the double plats causing interference in stereos/cbs and performance issues with them as well..

I may be stupid crazy.gif but .. maybe those to-be-demonstrated cases happened 'cause the plugs had no resistor ???!!??