spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckshot 1

Reaction score
What are good spark plugs used in the Jeep lib. or better yet what are you all using. Doing a plug change soon and well the factory ones suck, so info would be nice. Milage and gitty up is what I'm looking for.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plugs will only improve preformance if replacing worn out ones. The stock plugs are quality and only 2 dollars a piece, but they do tend to wear out quickly.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Bosch Plugs are quality, but I love NGK. Don't use platnums on engines not designed around them. They offer no real benefit, but cost more. I have even experienced a decrease in performance by switching to platnums, but that was not on my liberty.

my $0.02

Silver Streak

Reaction score
Jeep says you have to use a copper core NGK plug in the 3.7L. The FSM even goes as far as to name the part number for you. The reason they explain in the FSM is the copper core, any other core material will break down eventually, and could cause detonation to occur. NGK makes better plugs than the stock Vpower that Jeep puts in origianlly. Iridium is by far the best, in that it lasts longer, and performs better from the get go. Platinum is better than V power, but Iridium is even better still. I always loved Bosch platinums myself, but in a 3.7L it is best to stick with the factory reccommended copper core NGKs, and the best NGKs are definitely the Iridiums. Long life and excellent performance are hard to beat.
Silver Streak

Copied from the NGK website;

OE Laser Iridium

The next generation of spark plugs. NGK is a pioneer in Iridium Spark Plug design and manufacturing, and has been supplying Iridium Spark Plugs for Automotive OE since 1994.

More Durability and a Higher Melting Point Than Platinum
Better Center Electrode Anti-Oxidation and Anti-Erosion
Improved Ignition
Superior Anti-Fouling
Lower Required Voltage

Iridium IX Spark Plugs are the most technologically advanced high performance plugs available. Featuring a 0.6 mm iridium center electrode tip, they offer superior ignitability without sacrificing durability. The tapered ground electrode increases flame kernel expansion, while the superior heat range design is ideally suited to the demands of high performance environments. Specially designed to meet the needs of serious enthusiasts, Iridium IX Spark Plugs offer outstanding acceleration, high fuel efficiency and long life. When you demand the most from your engine, rely on the proven performance of NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs.

Iridium is a precious metal that is 6 times harder and 8 times stronger than platinum, it has a 1,200(=F) higher melting point than platinum and conducts electricity better. This makes it possible to create the finest wire center electrode ever. Prior till now, platinum had been favored for long life or performance spark plugs due to its high melting point, also the technology did not exist to machine and bond iridium on a spark plug electrode(at least in a cost effective manner). Iridium industrial spark plugs have been around for years, but still sells for over a hundred dollars per plug. Just now is the technology available to effectively use iridium in a spark plug for automotive applications. The strength, hardness and high melting point of iridium allows NGK to manufacture their iridium ultra-fine wire center electrode to 0.7mm. One of the finest firing points in the industry! (Thus far there has been no problems reported regarding use of iridium plugs with nitrous oxide.)