Spark Plug Gap Confussion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mechanic may be correct. The NGK's should come already gapped at .040
Still worth checking though.

I used the NGK's and they were gapped at .040 but I always check anyway so I was sure they were right when I put them in.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I checked the plugs that the dealer installed during the tune-up. I too thought NKGs came gapped at .040. Even though this is the case, I have always been in the habit of checking the gap when I install. If the technician had been in the same habit, he would have realized that these NKGs were gapped at .030. I re-gapped the plugs to .040. Jeep is running much smoother now. I feel better that I know for sure the gap setting. I, also, checked the throttle body. Not a lot of carbon. I think the gap setting resolved the rough idle.
Excellent that you checked the gap! Might want to tell the dealer what you found...
Now find a bottle of Chevron Tecron and take it for a good highway boogie!!
I always check the gap on each new plug before install too, some are out a bit.

sharpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called the Chrysler dealer today and asked them about the spark plug gap for the NGK
Platinum plugs I bought...
(According to the instructions on the NGK plug carton, it says not to regap the plugs!)
The mechanic I spoke to at Chrysler said to just install them without re-gapping them!

some beleive that gapping PLATINUM plugs will ruin them and cause them to wear faster. i check em anyhoo ....have yet to find one that was significantly off spec.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some beleive that gapping PLATINUM plugs will ruin them and cause them to wear faster. i check em anyhoo ....have yet to find one that was significantly off spec.

yeah, that's what i have heard too, which is why i just left mine as they were. i stated earlier that they were autolites, but i saw someone else mention they bought champion plats that were gapped at .044"...that may have been what i used...can't recall for certain at the moment...guess i'm starting to get old...hehe