Spare Tire Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Havoline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the subject of "uncovered" vs "covered" spare tires, what is the consensus on some of the dressings and "waxes" which are supposed to protect tires from UV and weather damage? Like some others, I like the looks of a Liberty with an uncovered spare, but don't want to unnecessarily risk damage. :-k

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ask the question in the detailing thread that is in this category. You already asked the same question in the tire/wheel section and jeepjeepster recommended that you ask it in the detailing thread as well.

We can answer your question better in that thread.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
especko said:
ask the question in the detailing thread that is in this category. You already asked the same question in the tire/wheel section and jeepjeepster recommended that you ask it in the detailing thread as well.

We can answer your question better in that thread.

Haha, he got close enough to the detailing thread.

Any wax you would use on your paint is fine to use on your rims Havoline.. I believe all the rims that came on libbys were clear coated.. Which rims do you have?

Also, any tire shine you would use on the other tires will be just fine to use on the spare. Ive never used tire shine on the spare tire b/c I am afraid someone will rub against it and get the stuff all over their cloths.. O:)

Havoline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, jeepjeepster. Actually, I was just trying to decide if it's safe to leave the spare uncovered and what wax/dressing/protectant (if any) I should put on it to prevent UV damage.

My sincere apologies for upsetting especko.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Havoline said:
Thanks for the reply, jeepjeepster. Actually, I was just trying to decide if it's safe to leave the spare uncovered and what wax/dressing/protectant (if any) I should put on it to prevent UV damage.

Haha, hes not upset.. Sometimes we get alittle annoyed when people post in the wrong thread. O:)

Its safe to leave the cover off. I would recommend getting some locking lugnuts though. People tend to look away from a spare tire that has a cover on it. Without the cover its out in the open and is free to take. They can still take it wiith the locking lug, if they really want it.

I use Meguiars Deep Crysal wax on the rims and Meguairs Endurance tire shine.. I dont know how much you take care of your paint and what not, but a good claying along with Meguairs Deep crystal 3 step system would make the rims and paint look better. O:)

Havoline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again, jeepster. I definitely think that I'll pick up a locking lug, especially since I've got the chrome 17" rims. =D>

chetos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rotate couple weeks with a cover, couple weeks without. I just use Armor All Tire shine when not covered. I also use lug locks on my spare.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Havoline said:

Nah im not upset, just gotta give new people a hard time.

As far as what jeepjeepster said i agree, make sure to give the rim a nice coat of wax and some tire protectant for the tire wouldnt help either. If you do decide to keep the tire covered, remember that every couple washes the jeep gets take off the tire and repeat the steps again. This also ensures that the tire cover it self doesnt have any leaves or anything trapped in it.

Havoline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, especko -

Ah, hah! Harrass the "nug", huh? That's okay.(After all, you Packer fans have a right to be "testy". We can't all be Colts fans! \:D/ ) Thanks for the info. O:)

- Havoline

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Havoline said:
Hey, especko -

Ah, hah! Harrass the "nug", huh? That's okay.(After all, you Packer fans have a right to be "testy". We can't all be Colts fans! \:D/ ) Thanks for the info. O:)

- Havoline

hey nobody said anything about being a packer fan. (welcome)