Soaked Driver Side Floor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

discgolfdc

Reaction score
Hello, all. I am certain that I'm not the first person to report on this, but it seems that, no matter how hard I search for information on this, I only come up with stuff that pertains to the Wrangler or the Cherokee. I'm not finding it helpful.

I'm not an expert at auto mechanics by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm also not afraid to get my hands dirty and have done many repairs on many cars which are usually beyond the scope of the average DIY'er. So if my level of knowledge doesn't match that of the most sought-out gurus here, I apologize. :boxed:

I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition 3.7 V6.

Anyhow, for about 1-2 years, now, I've noticed that the driver side floor (seemingly front seat only) takes on a good amount of water when it rains. This will happen regardless of whether the vehicle is moving or stationary. It has happened while parked on my driveway, unused. Occasionally, I've noted vapors or droplets on the inside of the windshield, which I believe to be resulting from condensation. I've recently resorted to using a car cover to prevent its exposure to rain while parked on the driveway. It occasionally does get to smelling mildew, and I often give the people who manufacture Lysol a nice income boost in the ongoing effort to prevent the carpet from becoming a health hazard.

Just as a side note, while symptomatically related only remotely, I do not suspect any kind of leak in the heater core or other climate control issues. I do not smell antifreeze in the cabin.

I am aware of some of the reasons why one might see water in the front passenger compartment area.

1. My A/C drain tube has already been extended by a hose to point downward and backward, and it seems to be working quite nicely (and, if I'm not mistaken, backup of this structure would normally manifest as water accumulation on the passenger side).
  2. The vehicle is equipped with a sunroof, and I have already taken apart the headliner and all and disconnected the sunroof drain tubes, which I determined are free of obstruction (but I blew them clean with a compressor just to make sure).
  3. The door seals seem to be dry, and while I may be wrong, I'd expect to see some moisture on the door panel if this were a problem.
  4. Since the possibility of the problem being due to a faulty windshield seal was easy enough to eliminate, I have had the windshield replaced. The problem existed before and after the replacement, so I am leaning away from this being a likely culprit.
  5. The vehicle is not equipped with a roof rack.
  6. No modifications have been made to the firewall.

I have heard of the possibility of some kind of drain obstruction underneath the wiper cowl, so I just got finished taking that apart, but I am a bit puzzled since I can't determine just where the drain is. I'd like to rule this out, so if anyone could provide me with some guidance as to where I'd find the cowl drain on the KJ, as well as any information about what path it takes (if this information would figure into the problem I'm having), I'd be very grateful.

Also, if there are other realistic possibilities that might lead to this problem that might be within the DIY'er's purview of diagnosis and repair, I'm interested to hear.

Thanks to all in advance. I appreciate any help that anyone affords or tries to afford me.

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem on my 02 and found a rust hole under my carpet...

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a plastic plug in the floorboard. Check it to ensure that, #1, it's there and #2 that is doesn't have a hole in it.

That wouldn't seem to be the culprit though if you're getting water while the Jeep is parked. No quite sure what would lead to water getting in during rainfall when the Jeep is stationary. The cowl drains are forward of the passenger compartment so they can be eliminated as the source. I know you checked them already but the sunroof drains are the usual cause of the problem. Maybe check them again...?

Bob

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, a few years ago I had my windshield replaced... It wasn't sealed properly and I was getting water in the cabin...

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a plug on The left side board up under The dash I use it to run wires comes out In The left fender inner might want to Check that as well.

J.C.

Reaction score
Hello, all. I am certain that I'm not the first person to report on this, but it seems that, no matter how hard I search for information on this, I only come up with stuff that pertains to the Wrangler or the Cherokee. I'm not finding it helpful.

I'm not an expert at auto mechanics by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm also not afraid to get my hands dirty and have done many repairs on many cars which are usually beyond the scope of the average DIY'er. So if my level of knowledge doesn't match that of the most sought-out gurus here, I apologize. :boxed:

I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition 3.7 V6.

Anyhow, for about 1-2 years, now, I've noticed that the driver side floor (seemingly front seat only) takes on a good amount of water when it rains. This will happen regardless of whether the vehicle is moving or stationary. It has happened while parked on my driveway, unused. Occasionally, I've noted vapors or droplets on the inside of the windshield, which I believe to be resulting from condensation. I've recently resorted to using a car cover to prevent its exposure to rain while parked on the driveway. It occasionally does get to smelling mildew, and I often give the people who manufacture Lysol a nice income boost in the ongoing effort to prevent the carpet from becoming a health hazard.

Just as a side note, while symptomatically related only remotely, I do not suspect any kind of leak in the heater core or other climate control issues. I do not smell antifreeze in the cabin.

I am aware of some of the reasons why one might see water in the front passenger compartment area.

1. My A/C drain tube has already been extended by a hose to point downward and backward, and it seems to be working quite nicely (and, if I'm not mistaken, backup of this structure would normally manifest as water accumulation on the passenger side).
  2. The vehicle is equipped with a sunroof, and I have already taken apart the headliner and all and disconnected the sunroof drain tubes, which I determined are free of obstruction (but I blew them clean with a compressor just to make sure).
  3. The door seals seem to be dry, and while I may be wrong, I'd expect to see some moisture on the door panel if this were a problem.
  4. Since the possibility of the problem being due to a faulty windshield seal was easy enough to eliminate, I have had the windshield replaced. The problem existed before and after the replacement, so I am leaning away from this being a likely culprit.
  5. The vehicle is not equipped with a roof rack.
  6. No modifications have been made to the firewall.

I have heard of the possibility of some kind of drain obstruction underneath the wiper cowl, so I just got finished taking that apart, but I am a bit puzzled since I can't determine just where the drain is. I'd like to rule this out, so if anyone could provide me with some guidance as to where I'd find the cowl drain on the KJ, as well as any information about what path it takes (if this information would figure into the problem I'm having), I'd be very grateful.

Also, if there are other realistic possibilities that might lead to this problem that might be within the DIY'er's purview of diagnosis and repair, I'm interested to hear.

Thanks to all in advance. I appreciate any help that anyone affords or tries to afford me.

Did you remedy your water ingress issues?

I see lots of unanswered questions on here, too. Mine tends to be leaking into the ends of the dash, from water in the internal A Pillar covers. It was/is not the windscreen, as it has just been removed and resealed. It is not the sunroof, as I have taped over it to eliminate that possibility.

Has anyone ever found any leaks along the roof seam above the doors, that allow water into the A Pillars?

I cannot see how to remove the rear half of the plastic/rubber trim that fits along the edge of the roof under the roof rails and holds the weather seal at the top of the rear door opening. Refer to the attached image to see the circled part in question.

Can anyone who has actually removed these strips, help with instructions, please?

Attachments

• IMG_5803c2.jpg
    IMG_5803c2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 86

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my windshield removed and roof sandblasted with new metal welded in because the top corner on the drivers side had a hole. Caused water to seep and drop from the O shit bar. 525$ is what it cost me and I had a brand new windshield put in

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you remedy your water ingress issues?

I see lots of unanswered questions on here, too. Mine tends to be leaking into the ends of the dash, from water in the internal A Pillar covers. It was/is not the windscreen, as it has just been removed and resealed. It is not the sunroof, as I have taped over it to eliminate that possibility.

Has anyone ever found any leaks along the roof seam above the doors, that allow water into the A Pillars?

I cannot see how to remove the rear half of the plastic/rubber trim that fits along the edge of the roof under the roof rails and holds the weather seal at the top of the rear door opening. Refer to the attached image to see the circled part in question.

Can anyone who has actually removed these strips, help with instructions, please?

As far as yours leaking, the corner in your picture looks bad. Guarantee you that is your source of leak. That's what mine looked like. And no fiberglass will not fix it. The windshield needs to be pulled and the rust to be sand blasted

J.C.

Reaction score
As far as yours leaking, the corner in your picture looks bad. Guarantee you that is your source of leak. That's what mine looked like. And no fiberglass will not fix it. The windshield needs to be pulled and the rust to be sand blasted

The windshield was removed and resealed last Friday and the work is guaranteed, so you may be mistaking "red dust" or sealant around the screw holes for rust. I'll post some closer photos of the corners for you after I wash it a bit.

firebird79

Reaction score
On mine it was leaking through both front doors wiring harness sockets rubber seals to the body. Only can feel it after heavy rains, because, the pillars getting filled with water first, and its about a liter of water on each side! Just reseal them with silicone.

J.C.

Reaction score
On mine it was leaking through both front doors wiring harness sockets rubber seals to the body. Only can feel it after heavy rains, because, the pillars getting filled with water first, and its about a liter of water on each side! Just reseal them with silicone.

Our water is getting in near the top of the A pillars, so is probably leaking in under the trim that fits along the edge of the roof, under the roof rack rails. My problem is that I don't yet know how to remove the strips of plastic/rubber trim to have a look where/how.

This image shows the end of the dash on the right hand side, where the water drips from the A pillar cover.

Attachments

• IMG_5806c A Pillar trim.jpg
    IMG_5806c A Pillar trim.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 102

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our water is getting in near the top of the A pillars, so is probably leaking in under the trim that fits along the edge of the roof, under the roof rack rails. My problem is that I don't yet know how to remove the strips of plastic/rubber trim to have a look where/how.

This image shows the end of the dash on the right hand side, where the water drips from the A pillar cover.

You have a leak under the windshield. Same issue I had. Silicone won't seal it. Tried it everywhere.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The windshield was removed and resealed last Friday and the work is guaranteed, so you may be mistaking "red dust" or sealant around the screw holes for rust. I'll post some closer photos of the corners for you after I wash it a bit.

I don't know what that red dust is but it looks like they didn't paint it with base and clear therefore not good. I'd take it back and have them look again if it's leaking still.

J.C.

Reaction score
Leaking roof

I don't know what that red dust is but it looks like they didn't paint it with base and clear therefore not good. I'd take it back and have them look again if it's leaking still.

I'm sorry, but you've lost me. The red dust is from nine years of driving on unsealed outback bush tracks and desert roads.

The paint is all original Jeep factory applied in 2007. There is no rust. The windshield was removed, opening cleaned and inspected and windshield reattached with "SIKA Tack Drive" by a professional for $175 last Friday.

The water ingress is not past the windshield glass, but from the edge seams of the roof, above the doors. There is a very small gap in the joint sealant at the front of the roof panel that can be seen in the image and this will let some water in. The main leaks seem to be further back above the passenger doors. As I haven't been able to remove the covering trims, yet, I cannot see where the leaks are.

I removed the covers from inside the A Pillars today (5.5mm socket?) and when the roof is hosed above the rear doors, under the cover trims, water soon runs out the front corner of the hood liner.

Does anybody know how to remove those roof edge cover strips without destroying them?

Attachments

• A Pillar & windshield & roof LH.jpg
    A Pillar & windshield & roof LH.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 90
  • A Pillar & windshield & roof LH closeup of gap.jpg
    A Pillar & windshield & roof LH closeup of gap.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 94

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That bottom picture is the pinch weld. Common on libertys to leak. That's how mine started. They sandblasted and welded new metal in. I'm almost 100% positive that's where your leak is coming from. To get those back pieces off take off the weather stripping. I think there are screws holding them on. If not its just that strong Velcro strips

Funnier thing is I did the EXACT same thing you did with that sealant around the screw holes.

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk