So yeah, my tires suck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

a4dp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You all were right, yesterday was the first time I had driven my Jeep in the rain and the stock tires suck. I was barely on the gas and was spinning so bad I was hardly going anywhere (which wasn't good considering traffic was coming and I didn't want to get nailed). Maybe I'm just not used to rwd, but I don't think that's it. These tires shouldn't spin that easily.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah yes, I just went throught the same thing. I wanted to upgrade before winter so I wouldn't get stuck in my new Jeep. So let the tire research begin. Try http://www.tirerack.com for some good starting points and customer reviews. I ended up with 245/70 16 General Grabber AT2. Happy hunting.

Vtolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine spin pretty easily on loose gravel or in the rain, especially the back right tire...guessing that is the power tire.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine spin pretty easily on loose gravel or in the rain, especially the back right tire...guessing that is the power tire.

Yup.....mine did the same but I changed them at around 10,000 miles since I couldn't stand them any longer. They should have a BIG warning label on them "DO NOT GET WET"......

Dave

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You all were right, yesterday was the first time I had driven my Jeep in the rain and the stock tires suck. I was barely on the gas and was spinning so bad I was hardly going anywhere (which wasn't good considering traffic was coming and I didn't want to get nailed). Maybe I'm just not used to rwd, but I don't think that's it. These tires shouldn't spin that easily.
Told ya so. ;)

But seriously, it's both. There's MUCH less weight over the rear wheels, combined with the sucky tires = spinning easily.

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah yes, I just went throught the same thing. I wanted to upgrade before winter so I wouldn't get stuck in my new Jeep. So let the tire research begin. Try http://www.tirerack.com for some good starting points and customer reviews. I ended up with 245/70 16 General Grabber AT2. Happy hunting.

I did the same thing, except I have 235/70 16's ordered:D

The stock ST's look like trailer tires:confused:

DryBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score

are you stock or lifted with those 245's? what wheel are you using? any rubbing? I am looking at 235's but wouldn't mind them a bit bigger.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Yup.....mine did the same but I changed them at around 10,000 miles since I couldn't stand them any longer. They should have a BIG warning label on them "DO NOT GET WET"......

Dave

Man...and to think I toughed it out to about 20K before I dumped mine (that and, they were racing slicks at 20K).

The sad thing is not that they were put on a Jeep, it's that they're still being put on Jeeps from the factory!

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Told ya so. ;)

But seriously, it's both. There's MUCH less weight over the rear wheels, combined with the sucky tires = spinning easily.

I thought the weight distribution on the liberty was 51/49. Am I mistaken. Of course even if I am these tires are still a major hazard on wet roads. I think ST stands for Shi**y Tire.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you stock or lifted with those 245's? what wheel are you using? any rubbing? I am looking at 235's but wouldn't mind them a bit bigger.

Stock 16" wheels for now, I am debating getting Cragars in spring. Fit fine, no rubbing but I haven't stuffed them fully yet.

DryBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not if youre not lifted. I have 245/70/16 tires on 16x8 cragars with little to no rubbing. They would rub stock.

but I want to go 16x7 with the 245's so the BS will be different. how do I get a definite answer on this without actually buying first? way too many conflicting thoughts on this so now I ask for input ONLY from somebody who is stock running 245/70R16 with the Crager Soft 8's in 16x7 if there is such a person. :)

BTW, where are you rubbing on the tire itself? outside edge?

Last edited:
Reaction score
you guys think thats bad? i still have mine at 48,000 miles. and they were only rotated once (thanks dad). so i could put bike tires on at this point an be in better shape

Man...and to think I toughed it out to about 20K before I dumped mine (that and, they were racing slicks at 20K).

The sad thing is not that they were put on a Jeep, it's that they're still being put on Jeeps from the factory!

ripper42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have 245 75 16 and 2.5in lift and they rub at full tilt right but 245 70 16 will rub i dont know how bad

WV Jay

Reaction score
I was able to get around 30K on the stock RS-As, although they were starting to look like a peeled onion, lol.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score