So I want to flush my coolant system ..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And swap out my water pump... Can I drain the petcock and reservoir... Fill with distilled water and let it run until the fan kicks on (water pump activation) Then drain the petcock, and repeat the process until its clear and then start filling with G5??

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also is there any harm if there is any residual water in the system... Or will that just evaporate?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your WP is always moving coolant at all times when the engine is running,the t-stat prevents flow through the radiator.The drain/fill/drain/fill thing just doesn't work well anymore and you just never know what your mix ratio is afterwards since your not going to get all of the old out.For the amount of time and all of that just pay the dealer to do the flush with a machine that will swap out 100% of the coolant.Most dealers here only want $90 or so.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I went to do mine and the plastic drain on the radiator was really stuck and I didn't want to break it and have to replace the radiator too. I took it to a local guy up the street and he did it with a flush/fill machine with G-05 for $98. Money well spent in my opinion anyway.

Dave

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had mine done by Valvoline quick oil change on a whim. To my surprise, they did everything correctly and even put in the right coolant! Usually quick lube places suck but I had a good experience.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After draining the radiator you still have half the capacity of the system still in the engine block. I just flush the system then fill up with undiluted Mopar HOAT coolant.

How do those flushing systems get everything out, or do they just push the correct concentration coolant through the system till it comes out the other end?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After draining the radiator you still have half the capacity of the system still in the engine block. I just flush the system then fill up with undiluted Mopar HOAT coolant.

How do those flushing systems get everything out, or do they just push the correct concentration coolant through the system till it comes out the other end?
They tie into the upper radiator hose so one hose is pushing old out while new coolant is being pushed in,of course it's reverse flow and the engine hot.The machine pumps in the new coolant backwards to force open the t-stat but on a KJ you flush the normal coolant direction since the t-stat is reversed to the normal t-stat locations.