Snorkel Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about adding a snorkel and was just wondering if anyone has had any rust issues after cutting the hole in the fender. I"m not sure how good the seal to the fender is after adding the snorkel, but it seems to me that cutting a hole and exposing a raw steel edge is opening the door for rust problems later. Has anyone installed one and had any experience with this?

I'm thinking about the ARB safari snorkel (open to suggestions if anyone knows of something better, or comparable that's not so pricey)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Anytime you cut metal for anything you should paint or touch up all around the cuts , so it should not rust if installed right
I cut holes in my hood over 4 years ago for louvers and there isn't a bit of rust around them. Of course I painted all of the cuts
Check with Thunderbirdjunkie, he has one of thsoe snorkal things on his :happy175:

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I guess I was wondering too if there's enough plastic trim around the hole that if you touch up the paint it will cover it and not look like crap. Seems to look alright in most of the pics I've seen though. I think my first priority will be to extend my breathers...seems to be useless to have a higher air intake if everything else is going to flood.

On that note...what's your opinions on KJ snorkels? Are they worth it, or mostly just for the look. I like the idea of that extra peace of mind, but I've also looked over the intake pretty well and from the factory it seems well designed to avoid water. If I go through enough water that I need a snorkel am I just going to trash my liberty anyway, seeing how I've heard the doors don't seal so well for example?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think the doors seal fine. I've been up to the trim on my door anyway. As long as you don't stop for a long time.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well first you don't paint two inches around whatever you are attaching anyways . Just touch up the cut thats all.
Pros and cons
well if you are going into water that deep you'll need to do more than just extend breathers and have a snorkal , whole lotta electrical stuff under the hood
Sadly most people do it for looks. But they are suppose to get cleaner air when on dusty roads

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I think the snorkel looks cool, but that's not my primary concern. I Think I'm better off just doing the breathers to give a little extra protection and spend the money that would go to a snorkel on a set of skid plates. Stock, I've had water up to the headlights no problem..I don't plan on going any deeper than that....what you don't plan for can be the problem though.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I have gotten a bit of muddy water in the filter box and on filter{hole was WAY deeper than thought} no ill effects. Think just moving inlet hole to rear of hood/cowl area would make a difference.