Smoke coming out the air filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kj2002vzla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello again fellow jeepers

So, I was driving today 5cil (coil under the coolant reservoir got wet and died 2 days ago) and I stopped at a red light and my Liberty shut down and when I tried to turn it on again, smoke came out from the air filter so I didn't try again...towed it with my brothers Liberty and when I got home, smelled like burnt cables or something, anyone have experience this or has some idea what could it be

Thanks in advance

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Proper wet part description & photos may help.
Last time I checked, there is no "coil" under the coolant reservoir.
Do you have a engine light on? Get codes if possible.
How much smoke came out of air filter? Did it smell like oil, check your PCV valve to be clean inside!
Pull baffle inside oil filler neck if you have one. Is it clean in there too?
Now I need a beer! :cheers:

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on your '02?

If you're talking about the ignition coil under the coolant reservoir then having coolant dripping on it wouldn't necessarily kill it but it won't help.

Are you sure the smoke is coming out of the air filter box? That seems really odd and I think you'd notice many other symptoms before any smoke came out of the air filter box. I'm betting the burnt cable smell is an oil leak from the valve cover at the rear edge on the passenger side. The oil drips from the valve cover right on the catalytic converter and burns off - and smells awful. If your coolant reservoir is dripping down there too then you have a double whammy. Not sure why your Libby would have died and not restarted except that you're only running on 5 cylinders.

I suggest you replace all the coil packs, fix the leak that sounds like is coming from your coolant reservoir and look for oil dripping on the passenger/right side catalytic converter from the valve cover. That should get you closer to a fix :waytogo:

Bob

kj2002vzla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Proper wet part description & photos may help.
Last time I checked, there is no "coil" under the coolant reservoir.
Do you have a engine light on? Get codes if possible.
How much smoke came out of air filter? Did it smell like oil, check your PCV valve to be clean inside!
Pull baffle inside oil filler neck if you have one. Is it clean in there too?
Now I need a beer! :cheers:

thanks for the response!!

i am talking about the ignition coil under the coolant reservoir, reservoir and cap are ok, ignition coil died because it was raining hard and i got exited and idk how water from the rain damaged the ignition coil! the smoke coming out the air filter smelled a little like gas but certanly not like burned oil or something else, PVC is almost new! i have now to replace the ignition coil and have a fire extinguisher near by just in case! thank you very much

heres your beer mate!:happy160:

kj2002vzla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on your '02?

If you're talking about the ignition coil under the coolant reservoir then having coolant dripping on it wouldn't necessarily kill it but it won't help.

Are you sure the smoke is coming out of the air filter box? That seems really odd and I think you'd notice many other symptoms before any smoke came out of the air filter box. I'm betting the burnt cable smell is an oil leak from the valve cover at the rear edge on the passenger side. The oil drips from the valve cover right on the catalytic converter and burns off - and smells awful. If your coolant reservoir is dripping down there too then you have a double whammy. Not sure why your Libby would have died and not restarted except that you're only running on 5 cylinders.

I suggest you replace all the coil packs, fix the leak that sounds like is coming from your coolant reservoir and look for oil dripping on the passenger/right side catalytic converter from the valve cover. That should get you closer to a fix :waytogo:

Bob

hello bob!!

engine has 12k miles!

the coolant reservoir and cap are fine, no drips...ignition coil died because i got exited with the rain the other day!

yup, the smoke was coming out the air filter but idk if it was the unburned gas from the cilinder with the non working igntion coil!? valve cover gaskets are almost new (felpro) no leaks but i didnt want to restart the jeep because the smoke and i didnt have a fire extinguisher near me so no risking my jeep!

thanks for the response

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you just have the coil unplugged and that's why you say 5 cylinder? If so you need to unplug the injector for that cylinder as well otherwise it will be soaked with fuel and this can be bad for the cylinder

kj2002vzla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you just have the coil unplugged and that's why you say 5 cylinder? If so you need to unplug the injector for that cylinder as well otherwise it will be soaked with fuel and this can be bad for the cylinder

No, the coil is connected i double checked on that...just went bad with the contact with water! BUT i didnt unplug the fuel injector on that cilinder! so maybe it was soaked and somehow the smoke was the burned fuel in that cilinder!

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the coil is connected i double checked on that...just went bad with the contact with water! BUT i didnt unplug the fuel injector on that cilinder! so maybe it was soaked and somehow the smoke was the burned fuel in that cilinder!

yea if the coil isnt firing then you are not burning the fuel. So that injector should be unplugged.