Sludge in coolant container Jeep KJ 2002

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello guys.

3 months ago I had a leak from my radiator so I went to the garage and they replaced it with a new one. Never had an overheat problem (maybe because that happened in Canadian winter which we have -20 celsius = -4 Farhenheit). I understand though that something was wrong cause when car was stopped i didnt have heat. When I was moving was ok.

Yesterday I checked the coolant level and i saw in the coolant container neck a sludge looks like foam. I asked the garage what kind of coolant you used and they told me the one for your car. I said "did you use HOAT" and they said no. I asked them if they flushed the old one and they said yes, so I really don't know what to think at the moment.

Now, the issue can be the wrong coolant or head gasket? And how can I know if is head gasket? Should I flush and put the correct coolant HOAT?

What should I do cause I really loved my KJ and I have her since November only. Best for Canadian winter...

Thank you and have a great day

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you aren't losing coolant I wouldn't say it's a head gasket problem. Definitely should not have mixed coolant...id be pissed at the shop for that. If it were me, I'd flush everyone out, and REALLY flush it out with clean water...flush both the block and radiator.

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I changed the radiator I had a leak, was cracked. After that I didn't check. Only yesterday that I found out. I will flush it well and put the correct coolant. I hope is not the head gasket cause then I'm in trouble :(

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I changed the radiator I had a leak, was cracked. After that I didn't check. Only yesterday that I found out. I will flush it well and put the correct coolant. I hope is not the head gasket cause then I'm in trouble :(

What does the sludge look like? Because I know if you have small deposits that look black that's usually from the hoses breaking down over the years. I have a brand new engine and my reservoir has those deposits in it. No problems and no coolant loss. I'm 100% sure it was my hoses breaking down because my upper rad hose blew on the way to work. Changed both out and cleaned the reservoir out as much as I could.

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd also pull the tank and clean the crap out of it. Took me about an hour to clean the tank on the old 2002.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
What does the sludge look like? Because I know if you have small deposits that look black that's usually from the hoses breaking down over the years...
Good thought.

...And if it looks like clumpy cottage cheese it is almost certainly from non-HOAT coolant. My Jeep looked like that when I bought it. As tombo_ontario suggested, I'd flush that sucker like you were running Niagara Falls through it, then make sure you are HOAT and HOAT only after that. :party52:

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like cottage cheese and I never cleaned the tank before. Plus the garage I went they didn't flush before installing the new radiator. Already I ordered from Jeep the OEM HOAT antifreeze so I'll go to another garage and hope this time do it correct.

If guys is the head gasket you think any of the products that they say head gasket sealant can work?

Thanks

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If guys is the head gasket you think any of the products that they say head gasket sealant can work?

Not really. Band-aid at the very best. You'll likely do more harm then good. I've used them as a temporary fix but so many things can get clogged up with that stuff that it really isn't a good idea on these newer engines.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
You KNOW you have a coolant problem. I wouldn't go looking for a (possibly non-existent) head gasket problem until you get the cooling side fixed 100%.

If you are still concerned, I believe there are tests you can do on the oil to tell you what might be in there. Speaking of which, when you do an oil change, what does it look like?

Latest posts

Members online