Slow heater controls................

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
And a belated happy new year to you all. Just catching up on the forum and read the thread from slippry about his heater problem which reminded me about mine. It's not that big a problem, it's just one of those annoying little things that you keep forgetting about. Heater works fine but there is something wrong with the heat distribution side of it. i.e. changing from floor to face vents etc. It takes absolutely ages to change from one direction to another. I haave had a look at the service manual but it didn't give me the info I was looking for really. I have looked through a few old threads and realised that the distribution is via vacuum which I thought anyway, but just wondered if anyone had had a similar problem and where to start? I saw in the service manual that there is a one way check valve near a recirculation actuator which I assume is behind the dash somewhere (Right hand drive remember, so hoping it will be behind the glovebox?) so I might see if I can check (no pun intended) that to see if it is doing what its supposed to but if anyone can give me any other ideas I would be grateful. Hope all your hangovers have subsided! Hehe. Cheers, Steve :smokin:

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
There has always been a pause with mine moving from vent to floor, and maybe back, I'm not sure offhand... it's not ages, but I would guess about 10 seconds or so.

I recall it being discussed before on here or lost, but it was a while ago. Others had the same thing and I have always just thought it was normal.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thankx all.
I am thinking its a vacuum issue too but not sure where to start looking. Where is the vacuum reservoir situated? Is most of the hvac unit accessible from behind the dash without ripping too much of the interior out? Like I said its not a huge problem, more of a pain in the butt really but it takes literally about 5 minutes for it to go from screen to floor vents. Starting to stick 2 and 2 together here as there is also a whistling noise sometimes from engine in the winter which I assume is either the throttle body or brake servo vacuum pipe which isn't awfully tight as it also just threw its first code ever. P0301 which is a misfire on #1 cylinder (which could be caused by a lean mixture) so its either all connected or there is 3 or 4 faults to find. If someone can chip in and give me some idea where the vacuum lines and vacuum reservoir are I can hopefully have a dig about at the weekend. Cheers Guys! Steve :smokin:

infernicus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that there is definitely supposed to be a delay from floor to screen/face vents. I think I remember (maybe) that it pushes out the air in the system to the floor first that you wouldn't in your face. :confused: