Sky Slider Roof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found what looks like some B-roll footage of the KK on YouTube. It's got some good shots of the Sky Slider roof at the end. Didn't the 1997 Jeep Dakar concept have a manual sliding canvas top? I've always seen a lot of the Dakar in the Liberty, now this is just one more thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9uRz9aCrGM

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Cool. Neat how the roof opens up, but I wish they could hide the cover better when its fully open.

hmm new liberty maybe... :D

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it can be stopped at anytime while opening. At times I open my sunroof 1/4 way or so rather than having it open all the way.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
No off road on that video????? Even they made exact same video for Patriot and it hits the rocks and earth in the middle of the movie, this one is all pavement.. ahh..

And who can say that this is not a liberty, for gods sake!?
You must be registered for see images

this topic should be under VIDEOS section..

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it looks horrible. I'm sorry, but the KJ is the best looking vehicle they've had for a while.

I've been thinking about getting something larger and I kinda like the Laredo's I've been seeing. That will give me the extra cargo space I need and a larger interior as well.

Lately I've been thinking about the Cadillac CTS and/or the STS.

I don't really care about gas mileage because I get reimbursed for that. I do care about comfort.

Keep in mind I'm only speculating now and by the time I'm able to jump into a Caddy it may look like crap too.

For the time being though I'll stick with my beloved KJ. Who knows? I may upgrade to this one Renegade that I keep seeing at a dealer close to one of my customer sites...Black...with the light bar.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a Range Rover, while you are at it, then.. :)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a Range Rover, while you are at it, then.. :)

They look and ride nice but you can get 2 jeeps and have money left over for mods and gas for 10 years. And you won't need to take a second mortgage on your house to have the electrical gremlins exorcised after the RR is out of warranty.

Lizzys07Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I could say I liked it, but I really don't.

While the sliding roof looks kind of neat from afar, it doesn't seem very practical. A tight seal (water/wind) on that slider also seems like an engineers' nightmare. As stated above, opening and closing of the slider looks awkward and clumsy. Not to mention how much it sticks up when opened...seems like if the folds would sit lie back more, rather than folding upright, it would reduce wind noise along with an odd appearance.

And I don't know what it is about the front end, but it just doesn't look very good. It reminds me a little of the Commander, a lot of the Nitro, and a little of a Japanese SUV.

Frankly, as I've stated before, I hope it is a good seller for Jeep...but on the flip side of that coin, it a little sad to see the Liberty lose its original and very well-selling shape. I would hate to see Jeep turn a great selling vehicle, such as the Liberty, into a flop...as Jeep has had a tendency of doing lately.

Time will tell.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it a little sad to see the Liberty lose its original and very well-selling shape.

Although I've got absolutely nothing against the KJ, IMHO it's hardly an original shape. It's a very good shape, very nicely styled: looks compact, sporty, and mean in some angles, but the shape overall I feel is a direct copy of the LR Freelander (I think you call it a LR3 over there?), and is found in many SUVs (european models at least).

The good thing is, the KJ seems to be the only car in its class that can properly go offroad (maybe the Freelander, but it's limited and crap build quality), and I'm proud of it :)

Just hope they see sense and scrap it in a year or so, and go back to the original.

I think it'd be interesting to ask the XJ fans how they feel about its shape compared the the XJ for one, as well as the KJ.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it'd be interesting to ask the XJ fans how they feel about its shape compared the the XJ for one, as well as the KJ.

As a previous XJ owner I can safely say that the "idea" behind the straight point angles on the new Liberty is closely related to that of the XJ. A box shaped design along with a wide front grill.

HOWEVER, a very important difference stands between the two. 4.0L Straight 6 in the XJ was a great engine on and off-road. Not to mention the solid front/rear axle on the XJ.

I love the Liberty (mine) and although the new on looks pretty rugged I still don't have a passion to own one.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a previous XJ owner I can safely say that the "idea" behind the straight point angles on the new Liberty is closely related to that of the XJ. A box shaped design along with a wide front grill.

HOWEVER, a very important difference stands between the two. 4.0L Straight 6 in the XJ was a great engine on and off-road. Not to mention the solid front/rear axle on the XJ.

I love the Liberty (mine) and although the new on looks pretty rugged I still don't have a passion to own one.

Ok, interesting to hear - I wonder then as a comparison how someone who has never liked/driven/owned the KJ would feel about the KK...

R.Rabbit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...down the rabbit hole just ahead of Alice.
While the sliding roof looks kind of neat from afar, it doesn't seem very practical. A tight seal (water/wind) on that slider also seems like an engineers' nightmare. As stated above, opening and closing of the slider looks awkward and clumsy. Not to mention how much it sticks up when opened...seems like if the folds would sit lie back more, rather than folding upright, it would reduce wind noise along with an odd appearance.

Time will tell.

Not true. I've been into air cooled VWs since I was a wee little lad and still am. VW made sliding sunroofs (ragtops*) back in the 50s & 60's on the bugs and buses. As long as you maintained them you never had a problem with leaking or wind.

Some of the aftermarket ones did/do cause problems but that is because you're cutting a hole in your roof and putting a flat sunroof in/on a curved roof. Factory should work just fine since it is made to match the curvature of the roof. As for sticking up and causing noise while driving down the road - I would assume the same rules apply as with a glass sunroof. Driving down the highway at 70mph, yup you're gonna have road noise. Strolling down some dirt trail with the top open "perfect". :D As for opening it, I would assume (here's that word again) that being a 2008 and today's lazy culture I'm sure it is powered with the simple push of a button.

All that being said I love the thought of a ragtop, but like our current body style, so if I could hack a hole in the top of my liberty I would gladly trade my moonroof for a ragtop. I also like seeing Jeep go back to the boxer style.

In fact my next auto purchase will probably be a late 50's early 60's VW beetle with a factory ragtop. ;)

*for the purpose of this post the term ragtop refers to a sliding sunroof, not a convertable

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In fact my next auto purchase will probably be a late 50's early 60's VW beetle with a factory ragtop. ;)

I agree - I think a Citroen 2CV would be a cool car for pootling around in in the sun. Plus as well you know they race them Le Mans style - 24 hours :D Alternatively a Fiat 500 - now those are cute cars!

mickey53usa

Reaction score
I noticed on mine that at 60+ MPH that the roof will "bow" upward at about the first joint from the front on both sides. It lifts up about 1/2 to 3/4 inches. After you stop, you can hear and see the roof go back into the full down position. Anybody else with this problem?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I noticed on mine that at 60+ MPH that the roof will "bow" upward at about the first joint from the front on both sides. It lifts up about 1/2 to 3/4 inches. After you stop, you can hear and see the roof go back into the full down position. Anybody else with this problem?

Well it is fabric. Fabric is flexible. No matter what reinforcement you put behind it, nothing can stop that. Now maybe yours is a bit loose, but I doubt it as every single last one of the SkySlider roofs I've seen... have been really really tight.

Someone should really classify this thing as a convertible.

I can just imagine driving one with SkySlider open, flipper glass open, all 4 Windows down... gotta at least be close to driving a Wrangler. :p

KKDude08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roof slides towards the back or the front. And yes it is automatic or you can do it manual as well. My wife and I are having so much fun with it. I did notice when the last door is shut when people get out of the truck that the SS roof will puff up momentarily. It also make alot of wind noise when you hit 65 miles per hour. Nothing that will keep me from having fun with it though.

Last edited:

silverfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love my skyslider:):) Besides never owning a Jeep before, and I wanted one, the skyslider sold me on it when I test drove it. I've always liked the Liberty's, but when this new one came out I knew I had to take a look at it. Had a Mazda 3, which I loved, but was awful to drive in the winter time, and then had a Honda Element, which I liked when I first bought it, but then didn't like it after I had it for a year. I LOVE my Jeep!!!!! Open the skyslider and off I go with my Jimmy Buffet CD's:p:p:p:p