Skidplate Questions (What do I need / what do I have?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Q: What Skidplates do I need?
A: If you want to have a full set of skid plates, here are the plates you will need:
  • Front Suspension / Engine skid
  • Transmission skid*
  • Transfer case skid
  • Gas Tank skid
* Transmission skid was not available for 2002-2004 models

Q: What Skidplates do I already have?
A: Depends on what model you have. Best way to find out is to stick your head under there, but here are some guidelines:
  • If you have a 2005+ Liberty with the offroad package, you have all 4 skidplates
  • If you have a 2002-2004 Liberty with the offroad package, you have the Front Suspension/Engine skid, the Transfer Case Skid, and the Gas Tank Skid
  • If you have a CRD, you have the Front Suspension/Engine Skid (but it is a thinner skid than the normal Front Suspension/Engine Skid included in the offroad package)

Q: I have a 2002-2004, how do I get a transmission skid?
A: You should be able to use a 2005+ transmission skid plate with minor modifications. Information on the modifications needed can be found here:
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6021&start=60

Q: What are the part numbers for Mopar Skid plates?
A: Here is a list of available skid plates, and their part numbers
  • Engine/Suspension (2002-2006) - #L82209026
  • Engine/Suspension (2002-2006, old part number) - #52128925AC
  • Transmission (2005-2006) - #L82210003
  • Transfer Case (2004-2006) - #L82209455
  • Fuel Tank (2002-2006) - #L82206122

Q: What hardware do I need to install skid plates?
Your kit should have come with the hardware, but here are some part numbers:
  • Rivets - #6506644AA
  • Screws - #65060227AA

Q: What tools will I need?
A: You will need the following tools:
  • 18mm Socket + Breaker Bar or 18mm Wrench
  • Tool list is incomplete

Information for this FAQ was found in the following LOST forum thread:
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6021

gypsygirl

Reaction score
Not to resurrect an old thread (and I'm not sure if this should be a new thread all together) but, what is the difference between brands?

i.e. Mopar seems to be significantly cheaper than other brands. Should I shy away from Mopar?

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gypsygirl said:
Not to resurrect an old thread (and I'm not sure if this should be a new thread all together) but, what is the difference between brands?

i.e. Mopar seems to be significantly cheaper than other brands. Should I shy away from Mopar?

Other brands are heavier and stronger. If you do more than moderate off-road driving you may consider the other brands. Otherwise, the Mopar skids will provide ample protection for your KJ's vital parts.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
priell3 said:
gypsygirl said:

Other brands are heavier and stronger. If you do more than moderate off-road driving you may consider the other brands. Otherwise, the Mopar skids will provide ample protection for your KJ's vital parts.

Also, it should be noted that MOPAR is DC's brand.

gypsygirl

Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
Also, it should be noted that MOPAR is DC's brand.

I was aware of that, which is another reason why I was wondering about the quality...

Grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:-k So how hard is it to put on all 4 skids? I have an 06 Sport that I am considering adding the skid plates?

jgp1843

Reaction score
Be aware that the factory skids do decrease ground clearance a fair bit. My new '06 Liberty came with the factory skids, which is basically a good thing, but I've been dragging them on really easy Jeep trails in my area in places where I have never come close to touching with my Toyota or my former Isuzu Amigo. I have measured the real ground clearance under the engine skid at 7.0 inches. No big deal if you don't go off road, and it will be just fine when I lift the Libby next spring, but this winter they may give me a problem when I get into snow that's more than about 10 inches deep (which happens a lot up here). If so, I'll just take 'em off until I get the lift on.

Colt03

Reaction score
I just ordered and received the engine, transfer case and transmission skid plates from Jparts. I hope to put them on this weekend.

Is there any particlular order that they go on ? It may make sense when I start installing them, but I thought I would ask first.

Any hints ?

TIA

jeep_convert

Reaction score
alright, forgive me for this one if it's a silly question:

i've got a 06 sport, it's got the 'trail rated' badge. does this mean i've got the off road pkg?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright, forgive me for this one if it's a silly question:

i've got a 06 sport, it's got the 'trail rated' badge. does this mean i've got the off road pkg?
No. My mother's '05 Sport has a 'Trail Rated' badge on it and it's as unprotected as all get-out. The only way you'll have the off-road package from the factory is if it was optioned that way. Here's a thread that shows what all the skids look like. Best way to know for sure is to get on the ground and check to see if they are there.

I just ordered and received the engine, transfer case and transmission skid plates from Jparts. I hope to put them on this weekend.

Is there any particlular order that they go on ? It may make sense when I start installing them, but I thought I would ask first.

Any hints ?

TIA
Start at the back and work forward - t-case, then ******, then engine skid. You want the one in front to overlap the one behind it, that way they slide over any rocks without catching and causing problems (unless you're going backwards, then you're on your own ;) )

Last edited:

mongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great thread, I will be getting the transmission skid next week. :hail: