Skid plates in snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should skid plates be installed when driving on thick snow when its either soft/hard?

About a week ago NYC was hit with a small snow/sleet storm. Most of the roads have been cleared however the snow was pushed to the sides of the streets where cars would normally park. Because of this parking can be a trick or a treat depending on your car. Well I had an opportunity to drive my KJ over a snow mound, maybe 12-16 inches to get parking. When I did, I can hear the snow under my KJ crunching. I was wondering this cannot be too good unless I had some kind of protection for the gears underneath.

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt really worry about just snow. I suppose a big chunck of ice could damage something though. I would leave the skids on all the time if you have them.

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's nothing important that could be damaged by snow that's exposed down there. No problem.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got skids on. We had 28" and my skids were filled with snow. I almost got high centered and filled the skids with snow and ice coming in and out of the driveway that was plowed in. The drivetrain heat melted most of it off except for the gas tank skid which was plugged solid. It got to 38 yesterday and it's 39 right now so the snow in the gas skid is melting off now. We got 2-4" coming tomorrow and a possible storm coming Sunday according to the weatherman. So here we go again.

I don't think it will hurt anything either way (skids or no skids) as long as the ice moves when you hit it (unlike a big rock).

Dave

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses, they have been very helpful. So you would recommend buying skids if anyone is going off roading, so the rocks or hard objects would not damage the undercarriage?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
rchung813 said:
Thanks for all your responses, they have been very helpful. So you would recommend buying skids if anyone is going off roading, so the rocks or hard objects would not damage the undercarriage?

Yes. Skids and tow hooks also in case you do get stuck. You'll need a good recovery strap with loops (NOT METAL HOOKS). Make sure there's another 4wd vehicle with you so one can tow the other out if necessary.

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing there to damage under your Liberty, not sure but where I have driven snow plows push over all kinds of crap that has been laying on or along the road. I am not saying that you need to go out and buy them just to drive in the snow, but skids saved a friend of mine a few years back, snow plowed up into my yard he comes down the road and decides to come over the plowed snow and into my yard, forgot about the fire hydrant, skids saved the oil and trans pans. You never know what you may hit. If you got them run them! Mines been dropping snow for 3 days now

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tommudd said:
Nothing there to damage under your Liberty...

Not picking on you in particular Tom... just quoting your message to point something out...

If you "bash over" hard snow/ice chunks you could damage the muffler/exhaust system, even with skids. I've got the full factory skids and I did a nice one off of a pile of snow the other week. Although the snow melted fast, I could see where the hard chunk hit the muffler, luckily it didn't leave any marks. Just letting ya know that there are some vulnerable parts under there even with skids.

I suppose if you hit something hard enough it could catch on the front of the muffler and "rip" the exhaust off backwards. But that's very unlikely unless you've hit something immovable under the snow. If it's just snow, have a blast, it's hard to damage.

JAGXJRPORTFOLIO

Reaction score
Dave said:
rchung813 said:

Yes. Skids and tow hooks also in case you do get stuck. You'll need a good recovery strap with loops (NOT METAL HOOKS). Make sure there's another 4wd vehicle with you so one can tow the other out if necessary.

Dave

As a new off roader please forgive me if this question is a stupid one, but are the recovery straps that Dave mentions easy to get? Could you find them at a hardware store or do you need to special order them online or something? Also, how many, what brand, etc. would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your answers!

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy straps with looped ends (not metal hooks) in most auto parts stores and at walmart. Look in the section with the tie-downs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
4 Factor
if you read all the way through I was quoting someone else, with over 30 years of 4 wheeling I know that there are several things that most people never even think of that they can hit just driving through town!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JAGXJRPORTFOLIO said:

Dave

As a new off roader please forgive me if this question is a stupid one, but are the recovery straps that Dave mentions easy to get? Could you find them at a hardware store or do you need to special order them online or something? Also, how many, what brand, etc. would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your answers![/quote]

I bought mine at (TSC) Tractor Supply Company. 2" X 30' 18,000 lbs rating. If I remember correctly it was about $25. I would recommend a 30 foot strap..sometimes you need the extra reach, and you can always double it up if you want to be closer. I think 15-18K lbs in a 2 inch strap is a good rating for the KJ, plenty strong enough, but not overkill, and still easy to handle and hook up.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeger said:
JAGXJRPORTFOLIO said:

Dave

As a new off roader please forgive me if this question is a stupid one, but are the recovery straps that Dave mentions easy to get? Could you find them at a hardware store or do you need to special order them online or something? Also, how many, what brand, etc. would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your answers!

I bought mine at (TSC) Tractor Supply Company. 2" X 30' 18,000 lbs rating. If I remember correctly it was about $25. I would recommend a 30 foot strap..sometimes you need the extra reach, and you can always double it up if you want to be closer. I think 15-18K lbs in a 2 inch strap is a good rating for the KJ, plenty strong enough, but not overkill, and still easy to handle and hook up.[/quote]

yup, they are easy to find. Walmart has some cheaper ones, but Ive seen some good ones at Tractor supply. O:)

Edit: Just noticed that where you bought yours. \:D/

The only thing I would worry about is rocks or pieces of debris in the snow. It wouldnt take much for a piece of wood to go through the ****** pan. ](*,)