Should I give my dealer another shot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Still having to deal with the P0740 code that's coming up with no symptoms.

Some back story about the dealer and dealing with the KJ. Back in August it got stuck in second gear and had a P1776 code. Took it in, they just flushed it and said they didn't seen anything weird. Fast forward to last Thursday. After I had done everything I could do to figure out the P0740, I took it in to my local dealer. They charged me $100 and sent me on my way saying "It was a bit low on fluid so we topped it off and noticed nothing wrong and you're good to go". I was relieved that $100 later the KJ had a clean bill of health.

Yesterday the light came back on...same codes. Made another appointment for next week to have them reevaluate it. I only made an appointment with them because it should be free since they did not properly diagnose it the first time. To me, it seems like they just want to get it out the door and not really troubleshoot it. Should I take the KJ elsewhere?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like when they dropped the pan? No particles were found..
Before I would take it back to dealer, I would try some cleaning first.
Varnish builds up/sticky in valve bodies etc & over the miles, if it was my Jeep I would add a bottle of Seafoam Hydra trans tune. https://seafoamsales.com/hydra-trans-tune/
What do you have to loose?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They said it's really clean (I've had the fluid changed on schedule). I'm hesitant to believe it needs a new transmission as it drives perfectly fine. It shifts perfectly in every gear. I think it's some sort of electronic issue where something is shorting out and causing the light to come on.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're dealing with Pishke, I would expect that they would take another look at no charge. They are usually pretty good with their customers.
That being said, I have always heard that the techs at the West Salem shop are better "Jeep guys" then in LaX.

Maybe you should just buy the lifted 4-door JK there with the pink-letter tires:gr_grin:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've only been to the West Salem one once for an alignment. Maybe I'll try that one if this one strikes out.

Are you talking about that black 4 door JK they call the Black Diamond edition? Saw that when I dropped the KJ off. Lol

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Evidently not enough times to get him to do a proper diagnosis :D

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe this type would help.... we are in Wisconsin afterall.:icon_twisted:
You must be registered for see images attach

Hundojoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The P0740 code means your torque converter clutch solenoid is not locking up the torque converter when at a steady maintained driving speed. It does not hurt the transmission to have this problem, you will loose a mile per gallon or two but that's about it. I had this happen on a Cadillac I used to have, I drove that car that way for 3 years. It was a $50 dollar part buried in $1000 labor to change.

Check this out.
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0740

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The strange thing is the TC clutch is locking up 100% normally. No one has felt/seen anything wrong with the way it's working. I can feel it lock and it doesn't shudder or anything.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the tech can watch the lock/unlock on a scan tool during a test drive, and see if something is not happening when it should.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Check engine light went off just as the Jeep was started to go to the dealer. Still took it in, but without the light on not that much can be done. They're pretty sure it's an electrical issue, either the TCM, wiring harness or front pump switches. I have a standing appointment for when the light comes back on. In any case, they don't see anything mechanically wrong.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The P0740 code means your torque converter clutch solenoid is not locking up the torque converter when at a steady maintained driving speed. It does not hurt the transmission to have this problem, you will loose a mile per gallon or two but that's about it. I had this happen on a Cadillac I used to have, I drove that car that way for 3 years. It was a $50 dollar part buried in $1000 labor to change.

Check this out.
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0740

Actually it does hurt your transmission. Creates a ton of extra heat. Usually your circulating a bunch of metal particles through your Trans. A lot of Trans failures are because of a bad converter.

Sent from my Motorola 2950 Special Edition 3w.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Automatic transmissions survived just fine (for decades) before lock-up converters.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Automatic transmissions survived just fine (for decades) before lock-up converters.

Because they were designed for it - these are not. That and before lockup converters most automatic transmission were worn out at 100K - along with the rest of the car.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only speak from personal experience. I had an '82 RamCharger, and the lock-up converter started to act up. I had a guy disable the lock-up function - Chrysler actually made the parts specifically to do that. I sold it to a friend with around 160k miles. I don't know how many miles are on it now, but he is still driving it with the original transmission going strong.