Should I buy a KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So he definitely wants an SUV?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Well, this looks tempting if you're looking for a fuel efficient vehicle with all wheel drive ...
Diesel Suzuki SX4 Coming to Canada in 2009?

I've driven the gasoline powered version and it was quick (I guess you could call it quick for a lack of better term!) and handled pretty good for an out of the box car. Plenty of room for my 6'5" frame although nobody could sit behind me unless that person was a double amputee. But for two people it would be a good little vehicle.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, this looks tempting if you're looking for a fuel efficient vehicle with all wheel drive ...
Diesel Suzuki SX4 Coming to Canada in 2009?

Too small. Although interesting!

My father needs something that isn't too low to the ground (you should of seen the underside of his ford windstar:eek:), gets more than 20 MPG's on the highway, roomy, stable (FT 4WD?), and comfortable on 10+ hour drives.

The way I see it, he doesn't need something new, he usually has a car for less than 2 years.

Drucifer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
starting out with a kj that already has close to 100k knowing that its going to be driven a lot is not something I would do.

Kj's are pretty dang reliable but there are going to be things that go wrong, more so since it has 100k miles. I would look for something with less miles for the same price. I would not give 8,500 for a kj with 100k miles.
Must agree with the above statement.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too small. Although interesting!

My father needs something that isn't too low to the ground (you should of seen the underside of his ford windstar:eek:), gets more than 20 MPG's on the highway, roomy, stable (FT 4WD?), and comfortable on 10+ hour drives.

The way I see it, he doesn't need something new, he usually has a car for less than 2 years.

Okay, it sounds like you've ruled out a patriot (which is what i would suggest for fuel economy), anything new, any car, a rav4 or crv, and you want FT 4wd. It sounds like you've already made up your mind what you want. Go ahead and get the liberty (or a diesel liberty). While it is not the most fuel efficient vehicle the liberty is a very versatile and capable vehicle. If you treat it right you will get over 20mpg on the highway.

I used to use my kj for work and in less than 3 years put on 90000+kms on it mostly highway and it worked fine for me and did not have to pay a lot of maintenance costs. If he doesn't like it he will only have to use it for 2 years anyways. ;)

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
owning a WJ, I thought he would know the "specialty" of PT, just wanted to point that out, since for ALL-HIGHWAY driver, PT is pretty much useless.

I would still go with something lighter, with as good crash test ratings, that is more comfortable to ride on long drives.. I don't know how long he drives for but after few hours KJ feels like a wooden board.

I used PT on the highway all the time in winter but then again i live in an area where the highways get covered in snow/ice.

Any vehicle i've driven in starts to feel uncomfortable after awhile (i hate the dodge caliber seats). I've never really been too uncomfortable in the kj but i have the 02 seats. I did also buy one of those cushions with the vibrating massagers in them. The other thing is to stop for breaks at regular intervals, get out and stretch.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, the price was lowered to 7,500. There isn't a scratch on it! I took a look at it again today. Should I go for it?

Last edited: