Should and how, rear side window...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monster

Reaction score
So, I broke the passenger side, rear window. It isn't a vent window and looks like it's glued in place. Is this something that a semi-handy person should consider replacing?

If so, what's the process for removal?
The difficulty?
The basic tools?
What kind of glue?
Etc...?

The break was caused by a Rube Goldberg sort of deal; take an F150, a 16' ladder, digging tools, wheel barrows and windy day. My poor Liberty was an innocent victim and I was the guilty party...I'm a really bad daddy!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it the 1/4 panel glass or the rear door glass?

If the 1/4 panel glass just use a very sharp scraper to remove what's left of the window while leaving a thin film of window urathane(the black glue looking stuff).Then you need to clean the inside of the new window very well with non-amonia glass cleaner.Apply the window urathane primer on the outside edge of the window(inside where urathane goes).Cut a "V" groove in the urathane container tip,apply uniform bead around window on top of the primer,make sure the overlap is on the bottom of the window.Place window in place and using your open palm gently pat the glass around the outside edge to seat it then use autobody grade masking tape to hold window in place.Make sure to leave at least one window open a few inches or the frshly installed window will pop out when you close the door.Leave tape on for 24 hours,best to leave in direct sunlight for as long as possible.

All in all not hard.

If the rear door glass it's much easier.

Monster

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.

I priced the glass, the primer and the glue and found that I could get a local auto glass repair guy to do it for me, at my door no less and all for about about $20 more than just the materials and shipping cost. (now that's a run-on)

I miss out on the fun, the risk and the trouble of doing it myself but it seemed like a no-brainer since I get a 1 year warranty on top of it.

I still have a tiny dent to pull and the paint to repair.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swap rear window glass

My 02' blew the engine. I liked the Liberty so much, I went and bought an 04'.
All the rear windows have a nice dark factory tint. And I was wondering if all the glass could be swapped into the 04', which doesn't seem to be tinted at all?
Sure, the rear flipper glass looks easy, as well a the rear door windows. But what about the back half of the rear door windows, and the rear side windows, that look "glued" in? Is is possible? I'd even be willing to pay someone to do it.
Thanks.