Shopping for a KJ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Argent

Reaction score
What features or options (or even years for that matter) should I be looking for my new KJ to have?

Other than 4x4 :D

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you gettin an '07?

Depending on your usage, you may like the select-trac transfer case. I like it because it has 4hi, 4lo, 2hi, and essetially AWD. This wya the wife won't have to go in an out of 4 wheel on questionable surfaces in the winter - no judgement call as to what's "slick" enough and what isn't.

'07's seem to be a little wierd being the last model year. They have no throttle cable, and I believe the throttle body is plastic. '07's come standard with ABS and traction control/anti-roll

'06's have ABS/traction/anti-roll standard. '05 and prior do not, ABS was an option. '04 and '05 have a 7 year, 70k mile warranty.

Other than that, I think they are mostly the same.

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also recommend the Selec-Trac and get the offroad package from the beginning. It will save you a lot of time. If possible, I would not waste money on the vinyl (umm...sorry...I mean leather) seats lol. This vehicle was the lesson for my entire family on not buying Chrysler leather unless you have no choice.

Donnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also recommend the Selec-Trac and get the offroad package from the beginning. It will save you a lot of time. If possible, I would not waste money on the vinyl (umm...sorry...I mean leather) seats lol. This vehicle was the lesson for my entire family on not buying Chrysler leather unless you have no choice.

I love my leathers, do you take care of them?

Argent

Reaction score
Was the Selec-Trac an option on all Libertys? I don't care one way or the other about leather or cloth seats - I'll take whatever it comes with.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my leathers, do you take care of them?

Yep. It's just the quality of DC leather seems to suck compared to other manufacturers IMO. And yes, I believe Selec-Trac was optional on all Liberties.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Selec-Trac is available on the Limited and Sport, usually comes with it. The Renegades are Command-Trac only I believe. The diff is that the Selec-Trac has fulltime 4WD like the Subarus, etc where you can run in 4WD on asphalt. Nice feature on bad weather or ice/snow/bare asphalt intermittent days after a storm.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the Selec-Trac an option on all Libertys? I don't care one way or the other about leather or cloth seats - I'll take whatever it comes with.

Yes, Selec-Trac is an option for all Libs. I would suggest going that route as it makes judging weather conditions easier, just keep in in 4WD Full-Time. I do not have this feature but it would have been a nice option for this Michigan weather.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would that not hurt the gas mileage even more? lol

Sure it does - but you still have the option of 2hi. I have mine in 2 hi. This winter, when we have snow or slush out where it's slushy in spots, or snowy in spots, but not covered totally, I'll put it in full time. If it's snow everywhere, I'll put it in part time.

IMO, there's no real downside - all the options command trac has, plus the full time option.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure it does - but you still have the option of 2hi. I have mine in 2 hi. This winter, when we have snow or slush out where it's slushy in spots, or snowy in spots, but not covered totally, I'll put it in full time. If it's snow everywhere, I'll put it in part time.

IMO, there's no real downside - all the options command trac has, plus the full time option.

ditto.....