Shocks vs Struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wildrussian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!
What is the difference between shock and a strut? I have a Liberty repair manual and when I look at the suspension description it says nothing about a strut, all it says is the shock but people on all the forums use term strut instead of the shock. Does Liberty have shocks or struts? What is the difference between the two?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best way I can explain it is with a strut there is no upper control arm. The strut is a coilover setup where the strut mounts to the lower control arm, and then to the body. The strut swivels while the vehicle turns. FWD utilize struts.

Shocks, the traditional example would be something like the rear of the KJ - either a coil or leaf spring, where the spring is seperate from the shock/strut. The KJ, I am new to it and haven't done anything yet, so I am unsure of the true setup. Not sure if it'd be considered a strut or a shock on the front. Definitely a shock on the rear.

My '91 Daytona was struts front/shocks rear. My '99 Grand Prix is struts all the way around.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A shock just dampens the springs,a strut is a load bearing part of the suspension(replaces the upper control arm,hence the McPherson front suspension setup).The KJ actually uses a shock up front,the KJ setup looks closely to a McPherson strut setup so it was just called a strut.It more closely(actually is) a coil-over set-up,coil spring over a shock.Everyone calls it a strut in the KJ world so that's what everybody uses and knows,even though it is is only a shock.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive always told people they are not struts.. I usually call them struts so people wont get confused.. They are coil overs like tjkj said..