Shifter interlock selonoid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swells244

Reaction score
Is there an aftermarket supplier for the shift interlock selonoid? 2003 liberty sport.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I didn't know there was a shift interlock solenoid. I thought the shift interlock was all mechanical involving a cable and some small parts in the ignition key assembly.

It can be bypassed easily by disconnecting the cable at the steering column.

swells244

Reaction score
my key comes out of the lock just fine but when its cold out i cant move from park to drive.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
If you remove the plastic steering column covers (some small torx screws underneath) you'll see a black plastic rectangle stuck into the ignition switch assembly. There's a plastic catch to push on it's side which releases it to slide out toward the firewall. It stays in there attached to the shifter cable. Try the shifter and see if the cable moves, maybe oil it. If the shifter doesn't move the cable it might be rusted in the cable housing or there's something on the shifter end jamming, maybe the shifter button? If it shifts ok the black plastic rectangle can be ziptied out of the way with enough room for the cable end to wave at nothing and it's bypassed. It will start and go in gear like that so don't do that.

swells244

Reaction score
There is a shift interlock selonoid. It's located on driver's side of shifter. It's white with a wire plug on the bottom. I removed the center console blew all the dust and crap out and used silicone spray. Works great now !

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Glad you got it working! Been awhile since I've visited those areas of my jeep. My next guess would have been water freezing in the cable.