Shift Boot / OD button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so my gear indicator tab broke and in my haste to remove the shift boot so I could remove the top cover, I yanked out the wires for the OD button (I didn't even realize they were there.) They broke clean off the contacts from inside the shift knob. There's nothing to tap into or splice together.

Anywho...I've done a few searches on here, and even looked thru a FSM, but I can't determine if the shift boot comes apart, or if I'm SOL until I get a whole new assembly. Any thoughts?

I did see a few threads about folks who've swapped out their shift knobs for aftermarket knob.....so I suppose it's possible to go that route. Just looking for some info at this point.

BTW, this is on an '04 auto.

Thanks

Last edited:

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Od off button isn`t working but im not worried about it .. Since you really only need it for super steep inclines and towing .

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use that O/D button 90% of the time when driving my kj. It wasnt programmed to shift properly on its own. :)

How much is a new shifter?