Shakes and Shimmies when pulling clutch in 1st.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcdeaglesandwich

Reaction score
'04 3.7L 5 speed manual.

I recently had to have my throw out bearing replaced. I had a new clutch kit installed. When I got it back the clutch felt a bit strange, but I chalked it up to just being a new clutch. After a few days I decided never to go back to the same shop as they somehow disconnected my rear windows and did not fix it.
Since then I noticed a bit of a rattling noise at idle with clutch out. and at lower speeds with clutch out.
The big scary problem: After I have driven for a while(45 min or so), sometimes, from a stop it will shimmy and shake and lurch violently while in 1st as I pull out the clutch, no matter how much gas I give it. It usually shakes and lurches until i either push the clutch pedal back down, or i fully let the clutch out. Sometimes I push the clutch back down a bit and then let up a bit and it doesn't do it. it doesn't happen every time either, some days its worse than others. with the shimmies and lurching also comes kind of a loud clunking in sync with the shaking.

Also recently it feels like my clutch goes down a bit to far and some times I hear clicking if I push it to the floor. Some times I do not hear the clicking.

Google turned up very little trying to figure this one out. Any ideas?

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like the clutch was installed wrong, or worse is broken.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something sounds wrong, I would think it would be installed incorrectly, I had a new clutch kit and throwout bearing installed when I had my transmission rebuilt and is super smooth, No sounds or shaking or anything as described.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had my own highly trusted garage replace my clutch, me. ;)
I would put aside the hard feelings about the window deal and take it back to the guys who "fixed" yours and have them take care of it. They didn't do something right.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
^^ Yeah, take it back before they get a chance to try and claim it's not there fault.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope the shop who did your clutch did not remove the flywheel and machine it nice and flat!

The flywheel is supposed to have a slight curve in it to match the curve built into the friction plate.....you can remove some slight scratches on the flywheel with some Emory cloth but if the flywheel has been machined flat then you now need a new flywheel and clutch assembly!