second lift kit questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys I'm thinking about lifting my jeep now. I was looking to try something different and instead of the OME struts , I would try bilsteins
I know with the OME i needed to the find the rears that are extra long aka "132L"
What is the bilstein equivalent for the OME 90009 front and 132L ?

I was considering this option for a couple reasons - save a little money if possible as this does not see as much trail riding as the 2002, and second, would be nice to compare another set up to mine

thanks

ordering mostly from JBA again

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
hey guys I'm thinking about lifting my jeep now. I was looking to try something different and instead of the OME struts , I would try bilsteins
I know with the OME i needed to the find the rears that are extra long aka "132L"
What is the bilstein equivalent for the OME 90009 front and 132L ?

I was considering this option for a couple reasons - save a little money if possible as this does not see as much trail riding as the 2002, and second, would be nice to compare another set up to mine

thanks

ordering mostly from JBA again

JBA has the correct Bilsteins if you want to order everything through him
Bilstein rears are 99-04 Dodge Dakota CLUB CAB 4X4 rear shocks, front shocks are of course stock if ordering from say shockwarehouse
But both are pretty much the same as far as ride , plus it doesn't matter if you ever go offroad or not, you still want a good ride on road, correct ?

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. I guess what I was getting at was , maybe a softer ride aka not truck-like? Does that make sense?

For the OffRoad aspect - maybe the OME is built tougher and can take more abuse ?
Why spend the extra $150 for the OME if the jeep won’t be pounding down trails and ruts
If that’s not the case and both are tough then I guess next point would be ride quality.

I’m excited to have another vehicle that can follow or meet me wherever I may end up and not have to worry.

Plus they look soo much better lifted :)

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next I have to find a backspace for a new set of wheels that give me the exact look of stock wheels with a 1.5” spacer.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Next I have to find a backspace for a new set of wheels that give me the exact look of stock wheels with a 1.5” spacer.
New wheels and then want to run spacers ???????????Why ??
Just run the correct backspaced wheels
lifted run 16X7 with 4 inches of back spacing staying away from spacers

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Correct. I guess what I was getting at was , maybe a softer ride aka not truck-like? Does that make sense?

For the OffRoad aspect - maybe the OME is built tougher and can take more abuse ?
Why spend the extra $150 for the OME if the jeep won’t be pounding down trails and ruts
If that’s not the case and both are tough then I guess next point would be ride quality.

I’m excited to have another vehicle that can follow or meet me wherever I may end up and not have to worry.

Plus they look soo much better lifted :)

You're going to be " pounding down " the streets correct?
What people don't understand just driving down street, up into parking lots etc puts as much abuse on suspension parts as off roading for a day. Unless you doing the Baja 1000 or something

Ride quality of both Bilsteins and OME are very close, installed a lot of both and not much difference really
Now if you want more " softer and not truck like" go for the JBA adjustable coilovers with adjustable rear shocks as well, then you can adjust how ever you want daily, even hourly. Personally won't run anything else. Cost is more but ride is just great

Never did think the KJ was truck like in any way , well with stock suspension since it rode like a 54 International , not rough but hitting down on bumpstops when brand new even. 2,000 miles was too many to put up with stock suspension, but waited until almost 20,000 on the 04

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New wheels and then want to run spacers ???????????Why ??
Just run the correct backspaced wheels
lifted run 16X7 with 4 inches of back spacing staying away from spacers

No. I have spidertrax spacers 1.5” on my stock wheels now.
When I get new wheels , if I do, I want the same look that I have now - so whatever stock backspacing is plus my 1.5” spacer = x amount of total backspacing for new wheels so I don’t need spacers.

Never had any issues with spacers as long as the wheel studs are oem quality or better ex arp studs

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're going to be " pounding down " the streets correct?
What people don't understand just driving down street, up into parking lots etc puts as much abuse on suspension parts as off roading for a day. Unless you doing the Baja 1000 or something

Ride quality of both Bilsteins and OME are very close, installed a lot of both and not much difference really
Now if you want more " softer and not truck like" go for the JBA adjustable coilovers with adjustable rear shocks as well, then you can adjust how ever you want daily, even hourly. Personally won't run anything else. Cost is more but ride is just great

Never did think the KJ was truck like in any way , well with stock suspension since it rode like a 54 International , not rough but hitting down on bumpstops when brand new even. 2,000 miles was too many to put up with stock suspension, but waited until almost 20,000 on the 04

Well that’s good to know. You need to understand my situation to know why I’m asking what I am. I chose OME for my 02 because of the reviews here and the amount of stress members put them through.
The 03 I wanted lifted but wasn’t sure if I needed such stout cylinder for the front and rear.
Never have ridden in any other liberty , both choices would be and see my first time reviewing for myself.
Now a lot of people throw on cheap struts and year or so later they crap out or the ride is spongy or even harsh.
On the contrary the Cherokee owners say the bilstiens 5000 series are harsher then other choices.

So it’s all ordered. JBA control arms and all.
I’ll see soon enough.

Also heard the rod in the bilstiens are slightly smaller diameter for the front and the rear need bushing modifications. So I chose the 132l for the rear and I’ll see what difference the rod diameter makes when installing the mounts. Not sure if it’s needs sleeves or something

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilstein shocks are digressive and can feel harsh/stiff because of this. I have the 5100s and I wish I went with Fox shocks because they are progressively valved.

I have the JBA coilovers but I'm pretty sure they are bilsteins built to his custom specs.

Being able to adjust them is pretty awesome. Hope out before the trail and can stiffen them up if we're bombing down the trail or soften them up if we're crawling along. Then when I'm leaving I set them soft on compression and slightly stiffer on rebound. This eliminates a lot body roll while turning but soaks up any bumps well.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ that is the kind of setup I wish my 02 had, just couldn’t afford it then. Now business has picked up and well ya know. Thought about moving my 02 set up to the 03 and getting coilovers but I’m just gonna wait it out.
Thanks for the replies guys

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No. I have spidertrax spacers 1.5” on my stock wheels now.
When I get new wheels , if I do, I want the same look that I have now - so whatever stock backspacing is plus my 1.5” spacer = x amount of total backspacing for new wheels so I don’t need spacers.

Never had any issues with spacers as long as the wheel studs are oem quality or better ex arp studs

The ones I mentioned 7 inch wide 4 inches of backspacing

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ones I mentioned 7 inch wide 4 inches of backspacing

Thanks Tom

Just wasn’t sure exactly how to understand the math/conversion to how you got to that number.

One day I want some bigger wheels.
But as my jeep sits now I can’t get over 12-13 MPG.
hate to make it worse

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom

Just wasn’t sure exactly how to understand the math/conversion to how you got to that number.

One day I want some bigger wheels.
But as my jeep sits now I can’t get over 12-13 MPG.
hate to make it worse

GEARING............
My 04, aftermarket front and rear bumpers, heavy skids ( not the stock ones) lots of tools, etc 4.5 inches of lift, 32s, 4.10 gearing and 21-22 MPG easy on the highway at 75 plus. Its all in how you build em. I run 4.10s on my 03 as well with 265-70-16s ( 30.6 inches tall )

7 inch wheel with 4 inches of backspacing sits the tire/ wheel at the edge of the flare