Rusty' Lift Kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noahschultz

Reaction score
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-suspension/jeep-suspension-lift-kits/kj-liberty-02-07-jeep-suspension-lift-kits/rustys-kj-liberty-2-5-suspension-kit-02-06.html

Anyone know if this is a decent lift that will hold up and if not is there another one that's better for around this price or a little bit more?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The link you posted is for a full spring lift with new shocks but its junk.
Out of over 35 KJ lifts we have done here we did one Rustys and the owner was upset that he didn't listen to me within 3 months
Spring rate is same as stock and within a year was back down to stock height almost
Rear shocks both blew out within 6 months , cheap hydraulic instead of better gas charged , front shocks were ok since back at that time he was still using OME front shocks at least ( only good part of his lift )
But I would not advise anyone installing any of his lifts for KJs. Heck even his top plates are not drilled correctly to fit.
SO
No to
spacer lifts
Rustys
Skyjacker ( also same spring rate )
Most everything RRO sells as far as lifts

IF you want a good spring lift do OME period, I have ran 2 different ones on my 04 first lasting 100,000 miles before I upgraded and sold it to another KJ owner
Out of all that I have installed all but a couple were OME
www.jeepinbyal.com for springs and shocks full OME is in the 850 range , gives you 2.5 inches of lift with 927/948 springs, can add more if needed or wanted

Last edited:

noahschultz

Reaction score
JeepinByAl for springs and shocks full OME is in the 850 range , gives you 2.5 inches of lift with 927/948 springs, can add more if needed or wanted

Okay so I don't know much of anything about lifts. With everything you have listed here is this all I would need for a complete lift or is there anything else that I would need?

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so I don't know much of anything about lifts. With everything you have listed here is this all I would need for a complete lift or is there anything else that I would need?

going to need front and rear springs and shocks, those alone will give you around 2.5 inches...and teraflex bumpstops for the front and hocky puck for the back... if more is desired you will need extra rear upper isolators, start looking on here how to do a clevis lift, good idea to get JBA upper control arms. tons and tons of info on here. Look in the lift section, the how-to section, and look through toms posts... that will be a good start

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

aLL DEPENDS ON AMOUNT OF LIFT AND BUDGET
whoops caps on doing a report :Insane:
Anyways 927 front springs/ 948 rear springs
then if you just buy the OME kit ( includes springs and shocks) you're almost there
With the above you will have 2.5 inches of lift over new stock height
BUT if wanting more you can do a clevis lift in front for up to 3/4 inch more lift
But then you will be getting into the height where you need to install UCAs for lifted KJs to be able to align it properly
( you can go up to 3.5-3.75 inches in front and rear

So think of the height you think you may want/ what you want out of the KJ/ budget etc and we'll walk you through what parts you may want or need
Just for reference here is my current buildup, low mileage 03 with 2.5 inches of lift ( although not OME springs and shocks , same height )
You must be registered for see images attach

here it was a couple of months ago when I bought it

BUT be very careful you do not get sucked into the never ending build like I have with my 04 I bought new ( black one in this picture)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Will I need bumpstops and hockey pucks even if I only want a 2.5" lift?

WITH and only if you use OME brand shocks they say you do not need bumpstops as they are suppose to be build in
BUT I highly recommend them , if for no other reason its cheap insurance.
Much cheaper to install bumpstops than to blow out a shock and have to buy new
Also depending on what wheels and tires you run you may need them to keep the tires from tearing off your flares

noahschultz

Reaction score
Those look good!! And I'm pretty sure I'm gonna want to go with a 2.5" lift. The budget I would like to keep as low as possible but I don't want the lift to be garbage and have to spend money to fix a bunch of things.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Those look good!! And I'm pretty sure I'm gonna want to go with a 2.5" lift. The budget I would like to keep as low as possible but I don't want the lift to be garbage and have to spend money to fix a bunch of things.

OME is tired and true for sure
Most all KJ owners on here , LOSTJEEPs and JEEPFORUM all run OME
Good solid lift that rides good , handles well etc and lasts
May cost a bit more up front( than say Rustys, spacer style etc) but the long term is well worth it.
I will only install certain brands since I want people leaving happy.
Installed some others and just wasn't happy with them overall nor were the owners.
The OME is my go -to lift when people ask , we did have another option with Ironman but they have since , well lets say we can't get them at present time.
I run fully adjustable coilovers on mine ( front adjustable height wise and also compression and rebound, with the rear shocks adjustable with the rebound and compression. Can adjust to road conditions/ load/ style of driving etc with just a few twists of knobs , but of course cost a bit more

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my ironman rides great and performs great....idk what happened but i think i could take a few good guesses....anyway, definitely go OME, and be warned..once you have the lift you will want bigger tires...then more lift...then even bigger tires....then regear...etc etc :gr_grin:

imo if money is an issue id just go with the basic ome lift...later on add the clevis lift and extra isos and jba upper control arms if you have the desire/money

and tom you need to have a template you can just copy and paste for some of these haha

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
my ironman rides great and performs great....idk what happened but i think i could take a few good guesses....anyway, definitely go OME, and be warned..once you have the lift you will want bigger tires...then more lift...then even bigger tires....then regear...etc etc :gr_grin:

imo if money is an issue id just go with the basic ome lift...later on add the clevis lift and extra isos and jba upper control arms if you have the desire/money

and tom you need to have a template you can just copy and paste for some of these haha

3 times per week at least
52 weeks in a year
at least 10 years now
so...........mmm yeah thats a lot
then add in 3 or 4 forums, Fakebook etc ........
:emotions34::Insane::happy175: