rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fjellfinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, those bad red spots that appears on cars, and eats them if unprotected.
Here in Norway they spray salt (NaCl) on the higways, this salt also sticks to our cars and are very hard to remove.

On my KJ, are there any "weak" points that can rust (corrode) easily and that I should watch closely??

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Fjellfinn said:
You know, those bad red spots that appears on cars, and eats them if unprotected.
Here in Norway they spray salt (NaCl) on the higways, this salt also sticks to our cars and are very hard to remove.

On my KJ, are there any "weak" points that can rust (corrode) easily and that I should watch closely??
We don't really know yet. But I'd watch out for the edges of the wheel wells that we can't see anyway because they're covered by the flares. That's where Chryslers traditionally start the process.

I know all about sodium chloride. My Jeep is covered in NaCl. lol3.gif

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think the kjs are old enough to see any rust yet. In the long run, I would watch the bottom of the doors, and the bottom of the rear gate. The lip in the fender wells could also be a trouble spot like Marlon said. O:)

2003KJ

Reaction score
Also check the areas on the bottom of the Jeep...around where the a/c drains out. I'm starting to see some surface rust in that area from the a/c run off. Come this spring i'm going to re-route the run off and have it come out well below the bottom of the Jeep....that way it touches nothing in the process.

Tell me about the salt. They're calling for a slight wintry mix but MOSTLY RAIN tomorrow...so what did they do???? Dumped MORE salt on the roads....only to have it wash away the minute it starts raining tomorrow! ](*,)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
I would watch the bottom of the doors,
To elaborate on this, the rust typically starts on the INSIDE of the doors, not the outside! An '02 KJ, I'd GUESS would start looking like that if not cared for in the next 24 months or less.

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For sure door bottoms and gate bottom, anywhere plastic moulding meets metal where stuff can get caught. Also I notice when washing that a lot of crap comes out from behind the mouldings on the lower half of the doors. I spray that real good and then again to get all the soap out. I look at our 94 Honda that I've washed real well and others that are on the road and there's a heck of a difference...our has NO rust. Well, showing, anyway.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No snow in Fla. but plenty of salt spray from the ocean. Once stopped while I was on vacation in Daytona to look at a 68 Mustang that looked cherry. Was ready to buy it until I looked at the bottom of the doors, there was nothing left ! Just keep washing the Libertys really well after anytime in the salt etc and it will help some.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a bit of rust on the rear tailgate door: the little black metal bit on the side. If you know what I mean...

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
79k on my '04 and I've noticed a rust spot forming behind the rear gate glass under the 3rd brake light #-o

libertyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my 03 had some bad rust on the bottom of the doors, I took it to the dealer and they fixed it for free with no questions asked, mind you they had my jeep for a week

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
libertyman said:
Well my 03 had some bad rust on the bottom of the doors, I took it to the dealer and they fixed it for free with no questions asked, mind you they had my jeep for a week

They probably just wanted to play with it...........ha ha

libertyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was smart and wrote down the Kms befor I gave them the keys [-X