Rust around taillight (top one)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepgirl0385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other day I noticed some rust around the top tail light (the one near the roof...I don't know that exact name of it!), so I took it to the stealership to have it looked at. They sent me for an estimate. I got an estimate of $680 to have it repaired. The stealership called whoever and then denied the claim, saying it was out of warranty... It is a 2003 that I purchased new in April 03.

Is the warranty for corrosion really only 5 years? That seems pretty ridiculous!

I seem to recall some other people with the same issue on either here or LOST...anyone care to share their experiences with this matter?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Yup, 5 years or 100,000 miles. (Not entirely sure about miles, could be 100k, could be unlimited).

Pretty standard among all the manufacturers.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My liberty also has rust in that area. I've seen it on at least two other liberty's. It seems pretty common.

If you look very carefully, you'll noticed that the seal on the rear glass seats right about where the body seam is. This is a design flaw IMO.

Since you only see it when the rear is open, I wonder if there is something better than paint to deter rust in that area.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rust warranty is 5 years/100,000 miles but you out of warranty by 7 months.
Maybe have them back date it? B.S them with you being a good customer and everthing.

If that doesn't work I would avoid the dealership all together and go to a local Body shop who can do it for 1/2-3/4 the price. Infact half the time the dealerships contract out to the local body shops. So your basically paying the dealership to call the bodyshop.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The rust warranty is 5 years/100,000 miles but you out of warranty by 7 months.
Maybe have them back date it? B.S them with you being a good customer and everthing.

If that doesn't work I would avoid the dealership all together and go to a local Body shop who can do it for 1/2-3/4 the price. Infact half the time the dealerships contract out to the local body shops. So your basically paying the dealership to call the bodyshop.

They can "Backmile" the warranty (A Chrysler dealer did this for my mom before) but they cannot Backdate the warranty. Chrysler knows exactly what TIME the warranty expires, but doesn't directly know the mileage. That's up to the dealer to input the values and pull up on DealerConnect.

jeepgirl0385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only have 60,000 miles on the car, and it has been relatively well cared for. Until the last year or so, it was washed regularly, garaged, and waxed yearly (before winter and the dreaded salt). I don't think a new car should be rusting like that.

I guess I just have to suck it up and deal with it. .

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If/when mine starts with this, I plan to hit it with a media blaster and then have the roof Rhino Lined (or Line-X'd, or whatever is best). I think TJKJ had that done on his roof.

Same for the lower portion of the vehicle. Once it starts looking shabby everything from the "crease" down including flares will be covered in bedliner.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only have 60,000 miles on the car, and it has been relatively well cared for. Until the last year or so, it was washed regularly, garaged, and waxed yearly (before winter and the dreaded salt). I don't think a new car should be rusting like that.

I guess I just have to suck it up and deal with it. .

If your car is rusting then thats another problem.. if the Jeep is rusting then youre at the right place.

There was a thread on this not long ago.. Mine is also doing it and as most people should know, my Jeep is probably cleaner than you are. :D