rust and replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lib88888

Reaction score
Hiya guys, will be cutting out rust and putting in replacement panels on my kj soon, however at the end of the sill at the bottom there appears to be some sort of “cap” or “cover” anyone know what this is and where to find it? On the photo it’s the chunky section at the bottom

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_5698.jpeg
    IMG_5698.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 33

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did mine I just ran the replacement sill straight through and tek screwed the plastic trim on from the back and underside, the lump didn't do enough for me to bother fabricating a replacement.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm dealing with the same issue so hoping some people can weigh in on best solutions or ways of slowing the rot

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on how bad it is, you may be able to scrape / wire brush / blast / rust remove back to decent steel to simply repaint, however on both of mine the visible rust was the tip of the iceberg, the outer sill is a lightweight steel trim panel, behind it is the thick structural steel, it was all in poor condition and required cutting out and fresh steel welding back in, followed by primer then I chose Raptor to finish it. I drilled a couple of holes and used other existing holes to inject cavity wax into the inner chambers of the sill to stop it rusting out again.
Don't be tempted to use cavity wax if you think it's going to need welding shortly for obvious reasons!
This could also be the perfect opportunity to buy a new toy.... a nice MIG welder! Mine has paid for itself many times over.

Members online

No members online now.