Running wire though firewall.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the best place to run a wire through the firewall for a Sub. Ive got a wire going through one groment but its not big enough for the 5 guage wire im running to my amp. Where does everyong else run theres? Ive thought about running it under the jeep, but i would like it inside much better.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Where is the best place to run a wire through the firewall for a Sub. Ive got a wire going through one groment but its not big enough for the 5 guage wire im running to my amp. Where does everyong else run theres? Ive thought about running it under the jeep, but i would like it inside much better.

Well I ran a 4 guage wire through there and it took a little coaxing and pulling but it will go through with a little umpf.. hehe

Otherwise some people put the wire in a garden hose and ran it under neath the jeep in the fram channels.

Bennett

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are, u talking about the same gromet as me? Its the one behind the battery, with another 500 wires going through it. Im always afraid that im going to hurt one of those wires in there, and then not be able to get to it to fix it. But i guess ill try that.

lol and i would of never thought of putting it in a garden hose, i think ill just try and get it through the fire wall.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Are, u talking about the same gromet as me? Its the one behind the battery, with another 500 wires going through it. Im always afraid that im going to hurt one of those wires in there, and then not be able to get to it to fix it. But i guess ill try that.

lol and i would of never thought of putting it in a garden hose, i think ill just try and get it through the fire wall.

Yup same gromet, you just have to be ultra carefull when poking it through... and it royal pain to work down there, if u hadn't figured that out already.

yea, garden hose just protects it nicely.

Bennett

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Corwyyn's hole is the one that I used for my light installation. It's a little hard to get to, and I scraped my arm on the master brake cylinder (still healing), but it beats squeezing through those wires. Make sure you have a good coat hanger, and some silicone, like in his directions. =P~

Amarony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Firewall

Yeah I used Corwyn's method also. But I found an easier way to pop the tab. Basically I just got out the cordless drill and put the biggest bit i had in it. Then if you hit the hole from the inside of the car the insert will pop right out. It's plastic so took about 2 secs for it to come out. Then what I did was use a coathanger from the inside of the cab into the engine compartment. If you tape your wire to the tip of the hanger, and then insert that tip (the one with the tape/wire) first you can push it all the way into the compartment and it's an easy grab from the other side.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Firewall

Amarony said:
Yeah I used Corwyn's method also. But I found an easier way to pop the tab. Basically I just got out the cordless drill and put the biggest bit i had in it. Then if you hit the hole from the inside of the car the insert will pop right out. It's plastic so took about 2 secs for it to come out. Then what I did was use a coathanger from the inside of the cab into the engine compartment. If you tape your wire to the tip of the hanger, and then insert that tip (the one with the tape/wire) first you can push it all the way into the compartment and it's an easy grab from the other side.

I used the exact same procedure to run my wires. The drill worked greated for removing the tab.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Hehe, I drilled through it as well \:D/ Made the job much easier. I recommend it, unless you're not good with drills. There's a LOT of wires nearby, you know? =P~ I did the opposite though... I fished the wires through the hole through the engine compartment into the cab. Now that I think about it... cab to engine compartment may have prevented my scratch. lol3.gif

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Firewall

Amarony said:
Yeah I used Corwyn's method also. But I found an easier way to pop the tab. Basically I just got out the cordless drill and put the biggest bit i had in it. Then if you hit the hole from the inside of the car the insert will pop right out. It's plastic so took about 2 secs for it to come out.

#-o Yeah, so I like trying to get my hand into places that are two sizes too small confused2.gif I updated the page to add a note about using the drill method. As for fishing the wires, I took the whip from one of my ham antennas and feed it from the engine side, then went in the cab and taped my wires to it and pulled it back out - took about a minute to get them thru the firewall. Those antenna whips are really flexible and won't bend when you don't want them to...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, i guess that'll be the way ill go, if it wasent raining here right now id be out there putting it in, but o'well.

Gris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beetlemn73,

I'm not positive, but I think this is the hole they are talking about. It's located behind the driver's side kick panel (and a matching one on the passenger side), behind the carpet, just under the large grommet with the big wire loom going thorugh it.

In this pic, I just have a few 10g wires coming through. I've replaced them with 1 big-**** 0g power line through the same hole.

You must be registered for see images

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didn't seal it?

Beetlemn73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I removed the plug(which was really covered by the factory sealant), I would have like to install a rubber grommet around the hole, but didn't have one. So I ran the wire, which was inside a plastic casing, and then took a piece of black foam(looks like the stuff you would use to sound proof walls with - ie: sound studio walls) and stuffed it in the hole. If I ran thru 2' of water, I'd probably get some water in, but it should be fine for NE weather.