Running Boards/Side Steps on a 2003 KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion but running boards or nerf bars make no sense on a Liberty. It's step in height is so low that even kids would not need a step up to get in. If you go off road then they are just another item to worry about ripping off.

bwflorida

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Thelt . . .
First of all, there are probably hundreds-of-thousands, if not millions of Liberty owners who enjoy the appearance and convenience of running boards, so your negativity about them is completely irrelevent.
Secondly, you not only ignored my specific question about a brand of running boards, you also have no clue about my reasons for installing them.
What if I want them so my elderly parent with severe arthritis or my wife who just had a hip replaced can more easily climb in and out?
What if the non-slip surface makes it safer for them in bad weather?
Just my opinion, but replies like yours sound smug and condescending to me, and are not helpful an any way.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see what's condescending here. Thelt made some valid points. Maybe they don't apply to your purposes, but having a little more to think about is not a bad thing, is it? :)

I asked for opinions on a roof rack a while back. Not all of the suggestions applied to my purposes for adding it, but they all were welcome and all helped me decide on what I really wanted and helped me not make an expensive mistake.

If you ask for opinions, don't be surprised if not all of them coincide with your feelings on the subject. ;)

bwflorida

Full Access Member
Reaction score
profdlp . . . I posted a simple question seeking opinions about a specific product.
I did NOT ask for the pros & cons of running boards.
That reply was not only USELESS to me, it was condescending because he presumed I had not done my own research, weighed the pros & cons, and decided that I want running boards on my Liberty.
Didn't you think that his comment that "running boards or nerf bars make no sense on a Liberty" is ludicrous and deserved some mild ridicule?

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things. hump.gif

I don't think you'll get a lot of feedback on the running boards as not many people on here use them at least that I have seen. Most people run rock rails as they take their Jeep off road where it is ment to be. I know not everyone goes off roading. If your not into off roading and feel that you would benefit from some running boards, Id say go for it! If it helps your elderly parent get in and out of the Jeep and you drive them around a lot, Id say go for it! They are less expensive than mopar, I'd just make sure if you do get them that they come with the proper nutserts as you will need those to install them.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
profdlp . . . I posted a simple question seeking opinions about a specific product.
That reply was not only USELESS to me, it was condescending because he presumed I had not done my own research, weighed the pros & cons, and decided that I want running boards on my Liberty.
Didn't you think that his comment that "running boards or nerf bars make no sense on a Liberty" is ludicrous and deserved some mild ridicule?

While his comment might be useless to you, your response seemed entirely out of line, and might make others more hesitant to reply to anything you ask. You asked for an opinion and he gave you one. Instead of whining about his opinion, maybe try being grateful he took the time to respond to you at all. :chillpill::chillpill::chillpill:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...it was condescending because he presumed I had not done my own research...
I think you are reading too much into what he actually wrote. How can you tell that he presumed anything about you? He just stated what he thought, not what he presumed that you thought.

One of the advantages of a public forum is that lots of ideas get tossed out where others may benefit from them, either now or sometime down the road. That's why we don't just post questions to a bulletin board and have them all answered via Private Message.

Just a hint, but if an answer deemed "useless" takes more time to complain about than it would to ignore it, why not take the easier way around it?

And for what it's worth, I think your reasons for wanting them are valid. The day after I bought my Jeep I took my 77-year-old mom for a ride and she had a little trouble getting into the passenger seat. If I didn't live 400 miles away and I needed to drive her places on a regular basis I might consider the same thing. :)

bwflorida

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you'll get a lot of feedback on the running boards as not many people on here use them at least that I have seen. Most people run rock rails as they take their Jeep off road where it is ment to be. I know not everyone goes off roading. If your not into off roading and feel that you would benefit from some running boards, Id say go for it! If it helps your elderly parent get in and out of the Jeep and you drive them around a lot, Id say go for it! They are less expensive than mopar, I'd just make sure if you do get them that they come with the proper nutserts as you will need those to install them.

Good advice, thanks!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion but running boards or nerf bars make no sense on a Liberty. It's step in height is so low that even kids would not need a step up to get in. If you go off road then they are just another item to worry about ripping off.

Didn't you think that his comment that "Just my opinion but running boards or nerf bars make no sense on a Liberty" is ludicrous and deserved some mild ridicule?

Oh yeah I totally think he was out of line and condescending.

This board is all about opinions and suggestions. Don't take everything so out of context man.