Run 32" tires with stock 3.73 ratios... issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for new tires & I'm thinking it's time for 32"s. I already know I should have 4.10s to do this properly, & I understand the basic disadvantages of running a big a tire on a tall gear (less MPG, more power needed, slower acceleration, etc.) I do plan on 4.10s at a later date, but I need tires now!

My question is will there be any driveline stress issues? I've been running 245/70-17, which are basically 31"s, with no real issues. Will an additional inch really matter?

If anyone else is running 32"s on 3.73 axles, sound off!

Thanks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No real driveline issues
BUT
power will go way down for sure
mileage will drop
you'll be using the Overdrive button lots more for sure! Keeping it turned off helps some until you hit 65/70 ;)

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running 32x11.50's with 3.73's. Not a problem for me at all. The KJ has never been a dragster, so I do not notice a huge loss of power. It still has no problem getting up to speed. And I have not noticed much, if any MPG hit. I usually get around 19 MPG for the mixed driving I do. Drive 15 miles each way to work every day, on the highway, but then do all of the running around town too in my KJ. So I think that is pretty good mileage considering... I rarely ever use the OD cutoff switch.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Come up for a visit and get into the Hills and Hollers around where I run most of the time. You'll see what I mean!
I could tell the difference as soon as I took off down the road

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably would make a difference Tom. But hey, I live in Texas. All we have around here is flat, flat, flat...

Dave08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OD off works wonders with 31's even. In a city with a rather hard driving style and speeds that hang out between 40-60 in town having the OD kick in at 40 bites and makes the ****** search.